Is a chin or rhinoplasty operation better for improving your profile?

If you had a large nose that is overly long at the tip but also had a somewhat receding chin and could only afford one operation which surgery would most improve the look of your profile?

Rhinoplasty and chin implantation are often performed together

+1
Hello DaisyMay1971. In general if both the chin and the nose are an issue then both need to be addressed. This usually is performed at the same time but there is no reason why one of the procedures cannot be delayed. Of course an in-office consulatation with a board certified surgeon can help you decide which the the greatest "bang for the buck".  Make sure you ask to see before and after photos of similar individuals. Computer morphing can also be of great help so that you can see what to expect if both or only a single one of these operations is performed. Good luck to you.

Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Which is higher yield: chin augmentation or rhinoplasty

+1
The question of which is highest yield, chin augmentation or rhinoplasty depends a lot on your specific situation and anatomy.

It probably depends the most on which aspect could be changed the most, the nose versus chin.

Ultimately, a consultation with a plastic surgeon who does both rhinoplasty and chin augmentation would allow you to better find out which would be the best treatment for you to pursue.

In the meantime you can read more about chin augmentation and how it can improve facial and nasal balance at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Chin implant versus rhinoplasty

+1
Without pictures, it very difficult to say what will give the most improvement. Typically the rhinoplasty de-projects the nose, and a chin implant increases the projection of the chin for better facial balance. 

Is a chin or rhinoplasty operation better for improving your profile

+1
It is difficult to give you much advice seeing photos, but a large nose will appear larger if the chin is recessed.  The best thing would be for you to have both procedures (cheaper than doing them separately), however if financing is the problem, you may want to consider the rhinoplasty first.  Consult with a facial plastic surgeon and discuss your issues.  

+1
This is difficult to advise without seeing photos. The procedures are often performed together to yield the best outcome. I would recommend a consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He/she will evaluate you in person and advise you accordingly as to what will lead to the best outcome. Computer imaging software may be used to morph a photo of you. This will give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty or Chin Implant to Improve Profile

+1
Pictures are always helpful because there are always exceptions to what I'm going to say. Although it is a bigger procedure a rhinoplasty will usually make a more dramatic change in a patient's profile. The ultimate cost will be less if you can do both at the same time. Unfortunately finances will influence your decision.

Chin Implant or rhinoplasty

+1
Ideally, it sounds like you need both procedures. I would suggest the rhinoplasty as this would likely make the greatest impact on the profile. Also, cost wise you can often do a chin implant under local or limited anesthesia which should reduce this cost later. Ultimately, the decision will have to be yours. Most surgeons including myself will often discount the secondary procedure so it may be less than you think. Good luck in your area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon