Chin Reduction Surgery - Is it Necessary?

Hi! I went to my orthodontist to see if I had a misaligned bite, but he said my jaw was perfectly aligned, so that rules out jaw surgery! My chin does not stick out at all when I'm not smiling, but when I smile it looks like it has extra flesh and bumps on it that makes it look longer and "witchy". I hate it! What kind of surgery would fix this? Buccal Fat Pad Removal? Chin reduction of fat tissue? I don't know! And an approximate cost? (From Long Island) Thanks!

Chin reduction surgery--Yes or No?

+2

Colleen, from your photos it is impossible to tell if you have excessive chin projection for which bony reduction would be possible or recommended. You do not have excessive fat in this area, and no soft tissue surgery is warranted. Without side views and perhaps a direct physical examination to examine the muscular dynamics of this area, it is impossible to give good advice about whether or not chin reduction is even an appropriate consideration!

But it does appear from your smiling views that your teeth do indeed come together properly, so your orthodontist is giving you good advice! Also, you are a pretty girl who may be obsessing about your chin area a bit more than your lovely appearance warrants!

You may wish to consider extremely conservative Botox to help soften the muscular (over)activity that may contribute to the dimpling and irregularity of your chin tissues when you smile, but you certainly don't want to over do the Botox and end up with a crooked or non-smile for several months! Seek the advice of an experienced conservative plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or Dermatologist who perform lots of Botox injections. Best Wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Chin Reduction Surgery for Dimpled Chin

+2

Dear Coleenb,

It is difficult to determine what the underlying problem is given the pictures that you submitted.  In an examination, critical determinations are made from lateral views and as well from frontal views when your lips are in repose (not smiling).  The first assessment is to determine the symmetry and proportionality of your facial anatomy; which means, is your jaw and chin in the proper proportion relative to your cheekbones/cheeks.  Once these assessments are made, then we can determine the proper procedure, which may range from chin surgery (genioplasty) to Botox.  Buccal fat pad excision would not improve any dimpling or straining seen in your chin upon smiling.  As with any procedure, a board certified physician with experience in treating your issue is of primary consideration.  Best wishes with your endeavor.

Luis Zapiach, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon