Chin Reduction Surgery - Options and Costs

I am considering chin reduction surgery as I feel it points out when I smile and I hate that... Could someone give me a recommendation for a fairly priced surgeon in the LA area who is well known for chin reduction surgeries? Does anyone know the estimated cost of such a surgery?

+1

RE; "I am considering chin reduction surgery as I feel it points out when I smile and I hate that... Could someone give me a recommendation for a fairly priced surgeon in the LA area who is well known for chin reduction surgeries? Does anyone know the estimated cost of such a surgery?"

Appearance is a highly personal choice. Personally, I like your appearance because it accentuates the youthful inverted pear-shape of attractive youthful faces.  A Reduction Genioplasty involves sawing, removing a wafer of bone from the chin and then impacting and holding the new shorter chin with a plate and screws. The procedure is not without potential complications such as infection, failure of the bone to heal properly and potential loss of lip sensation. It should be done by Maxillofacial Plastic surgeons and Oral surgeons.  Personally, I would advise you to try some Botox to the ball of the chin which appears on smiling - in the hands of an expert MD this will smooth it nicely and may give you the appearance you are looking for without the cost and risks.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Chin reduction

+1

Assuming that you do not have any malocclusion (under or overbite) so the problem is simply excessive projection of the mentum (center of jaw) then what you need to have is an intraoral approach to the bone which allows cutting off some of the excess. Basically not a complicated procedure but should be done under general anesthesia. Ask around see what plastic or facial plastic surgeon or oral surgeon has experience. Its not done very commonly so you wont find anyone with a huge experience but anyone with reconstructive (trauma) experience should do well.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon