Chin Reduction?/Too prominent? (photos)

I underwent a mandibular osteotomy/setback around 5 years ago, and was told prior to the procedure by my surgeon that i might benefit from a chin reduction as well. I wanted to see the final result of the jaw surgery before making any decisions regarding my chin. My question now is whether or not my chin appears balanced for my face, or is it too prominent? I did lose some sensation in my lower lip and gums and was wondering if a soft tissue procedure might be able to help instead of bone?

Chin Reduction?/Too prominent?

+1
   Chin reduction is probably reasonable, but a physical exam would help make this determination.  Bony and soft tissue management are probably both necessary.

Prominant chin

+1
As you have stated, your chin is too prominent.  A double osteotomy (wedge excision) osteoplasty genioplasty will help.  This is nuanced issue, but your maxilla is slightly underprojected.  Instead of getting another large jaw surgery (lefort 1) you might consider some grafting around the pyriform aperature.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
San Angelo Plastic Surgeon

Chin prominence

+1

Yes, your chin is prominent both when smiling and in repose.  While an xray is necessary to define the bony contribution to your chin prominence, bone excess is likely the main culprit.  Accordingly, chin bone reduction likely combined with directed soft tissue reduction would likely be helpful.  Seek the opinion of a surgeon with experience in such chin reduction procedures as you need to be aware that soft tissue tends to bunch under the chin when it is reduced, so the surgeons should be prepared to compensate for this issue.

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Surgery

+1
You do most probably have hard and soft tissue excess and you also appear to have a lower 1/3 facial vertical deficiency.  That would mean that you would benefit from chin reduction with slight elongation.  It is impossible to be exact without seeing some imaging (Ceph Xray or CT Scan) but may also involve soft tissue reduction.  Given your surgical history the case is complex and requires face to face consultation and comprehensive work up.

Dr. Joe :)

Joseph Niamtu, III, DMD
Richmond Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Submental Approach for Chin Prominence Reduction

+1

Your chin does show a horizontal prominence and it is a combination of both a bony excess as well as a soft tissue redundancy. Both need to be reduced and the chin reshaped through a submental approach. The bony chin can be horizontally reduced and narrowed and the excess soft tissue removed and tucked.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin reduction

+1

See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Maxillo Facial surgeon for a face-to-face evaluation to decide on chin set-back or soft tissue treatment.  Smiling, the chin looks prominent. At rest, the balance is better. This may be a combination of soft tissue, muscle and bone imbalance - x-rays and an exam will be needed.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD