Chin Reduction/Jaw Shaving for 20 year old girl with a butt chin? (photo)

Hi there! I am a 20 year old girl and all of my life I have had the biggest insecurity with my chin. I got my dads butt chin passed down to me (unfortunately) and all my life I suffered from looking different than every other girl with a normal chin. Also my chin is extremely pointy and people have called it a "protruding" chin. What kind of surgery will I have to do and what will the cost be. Also I work a full time job so how long would it take to heal. Any answers would be appreciated!!

Chin Reduction Surgery For Long And Pointy Chin

+2

Your chin appears long (overprojected) and a little pointy. This can be reduced by shortening the chin bone in vertical length and reducing its  horizontal projection. Most of the time, I do this procedure through a submental (under the chin) incision which allows the excess soft tissues to be removed and tightened as well. In some cases, it may be possible to do the chin reduction from an intraoral approach. But without a side profile view this determination can not be made based on one picture only. 

Chin Reduction

+2

A better photo of yourself in the true profile (side) position would be much more helpful.  Nonetheless a sliding genioplasty (cutting the bone and repositioniong it) is typically the procedure done to reduce the size/prominence of the chin.  The next best step is for you to seek consultation with a board certified plastic or oral surgeon who specializes in this procedure.  Glad to help... @drryanstanton 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Chin reduction

+2

The photo you show does not do justice to what you are describing, but assuming your chin is too prominent, you will need a "genioplasty" or chin reduction.  Many plastic surgeons and oral surgeons do them.  I would get recommendations from your dentist.  Best of luck to you.

James E. Chappell, MD