Can Lipo Be Done Under the Chin with Local?

40 year old great shape small pocket of fat under chin Also, wouldn't the skin where the fat used to be hang down and look loose?

Yes, liposuction under the chin can be performed under local anesthesia

+1

Yes, liposuction under the chin can be performed under local anesthesia. Depending on the skin laxity, the loose skin under your chin may or may not contract back. You may need additional skin tightening treatments-- I often will combine liposuction with ultherapy and have found that to help with the skin laxity. Depending on the amount of skin laxity, sometimes surgery is necessary. I suggest you discuss this with your facial plastic surgeon.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction with Local Anesthesia

+1

Yes it can be done with local anesthesia, local anesthesia with sedation, or general anesthesia

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Liposuction?

+1

Yes, chin liposuction  can be done under local anesthesia,  local anesthesia with sedation, or general anesthesia.

Good skin elasticity is an important  attribute  of the patient undergoing liposuction surgery. As we age we generally  lose some skin elasticity. Very generally speaking  great care must be taken with patients over the age of 40 who are considering liposuction surgery.  After the liposuction procedure we are depending on the skin elasticity to allow the skin envelope to “shrink” to fit the reduced contour resulting from the liposuction procedure.

Your plastic surgeon will be able to determine,  based on physical examination whether your skin elasticity  is sufficient  to undergo liposuction surgery.

Chin liposuction under local anesthetic

+1

This is the way I usually do this procedure. If you need a little something more to relieve anxiety, I will prescribe some oral valium about one hour prior to the surgery.  If you have a small collection of fat and the skin isn't too loose to start, then it should not hang.  As you already know, there is no substitute for a consultation with a plastic surgeon in order to get the answers you are looking for. 

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Yes it is a reasonable option

+1

The liposuction under the chin can be done under the local anesthesia. Patients are comfortable during the procedure and the recovery time is about one week (but some people are able to go back to work after 3-4 days). The liposuction could be be done with a laser combination -coollipo, which helps to stimulate the collagen and help to bring natural elasticity to the skin. During the consultation with a plastic surgeon you should be able to find out if you are a good candidate for the liposuction. In some cases where the loose skin can be an issue and a great concern after the surgery, the surgeon will discuss full facelift, which can be another surgical option.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Submental liposuction can be done under local anesthesia

+1

Submental liposuction can easily be done under local anesthesia.  A small 3 to 4 mm incision can be made in a submental crease and behind the ears.  The results of this procedure are dramatic.  You need to be appropriately evaluated to see how loose your neck skin is.  Significant laxity would requrre a lift.  I have seen dramatic skin tightening with liposuction alone.  Best wishes, Dr. Pippin.

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser liposculpture under local can remove fat and tighten neck skin

+1

Liposuction under the chin can easily be done under local anesthesia. You are correct to be concerned about loose skin after liposuction-removing the fat can allow loose skin to be left behind.

In my experience laser assisted liposuction or laser liposculpting provides the best option for tightening skin at the same time liposuction is done. I use the SlimLipo laser liposuction system.

Using a small laser fiber the fat beneath the chin is dissolved and removed with a small cannula. Next a different setting of the laser is used and the fiber is again passed beneath the chin or neck skin to tighten the skin.

Laser assisted liposuction can be done on the neck and chin area using local anesthesia.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Local anesthesia may be the best option for neck liposculpture

+1

I perform at least 35-40 neck liposculpture procedures EVERY month and 100% of those are done under local anesthetic. I used to perform them under general anesthetic but now it is so much easier for everyone to do it this way. I will give some valium before the procedure and it is really very fast and simple to perform.

I often perform these liposulpture procedures along with my facelfts that I do- it is a very nice compliment to the facelift procedure.

Good Luck.

Robert F. Gray, MD, FACS

Robert F. Gray, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Liposuction

+1

Liposuction of the neck may be performed under local anesthesia. I prefer to use general anesthesia, as it is the most comfortable option for the patient and very safe when you are under the supervision of an excellent surgeon and anesthesiologist. Thank you, and best of luck to you.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Submental Liposuction

+1

Smart Lipo is the best option for you. It’s minimally invasive, will liquefy and remove the fat and the laser will tighten your skin. It’s the best fit for you!

Bruce E. Katz, MD