Chin Liposuction or Hypermobile Lip Surgery?

I'm a 22 year old female who exercises moderately and eats well. I have a hereditary double chin that appears when I smile or laugh. I'm considering having liposuction on my chin and jaw line to reduce the fat around my face, but was wondering if undergoing hypermobile lip surgery to reduce my "baboon grin" might be a better alternative to balance out the silhouette of my face and thus reduce the appearance my double chin (combined with losing 10-15 pounds - I am currently 5'6, 125). Thank you!

It is not you, it is the culture we live in.

+2

There is nothing wrong with your chin or your smile.  Please try to stay out of the cosmetic surgeon's office.  You are only going to get a complex seeing us.  One of us will eventually so undermine your confidence that your will talk yourself into having a surgery that you absolutely do not need.  Perhaps you will be talked into have a chin implant, liposuction, or gummy smile BOTOX or surgery.  You just do not need any of these procedures.  Whoever made you feel bad about yourself did you a terrible disservice.  You do not have a "baboon grin."  Your smile is beautiful.  Please do not get taken in by doctor BS designed to drum up business.

Hypermobile Lip Surgery

+1

A hypermobile lip surgery is done on patient who has high lip line. A high lip line shows more of the gums when the patient smiles. A hypermobile lip surgery is done to reduce the exposure of the gums so that the smile looks normal with minimum exposure of the gums. 

However, as a person ages the smile tends to descend and eventually for many older patients, only the lower teeth show when smiling.  Advancing the lip downward would hastent this process and make your smile look "old" at a much younger age.

To most people, your smile is quite beautiful and resembles Ann Hathaway. I recommend that you keep your smile just the way it is. Your chin projection is normal and you only have a double chin if your neck is flexed enough. I believe that this may not be the right time for surgery for you.

Temp Patterson, MD
Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smile surgery not necessary

+1
Your chin projection is fine on your profile and your smile Is beautiful. I do not see anything that indicates a smile procedure for you. You have a very small amount of fat under the chin where liposuction of the chin area may be helpful. It is hard to determine by your photos you are definitely a borderline case as to whether chin liposuction would be beneficial to you. Upon a direct examination this would be easier to determine I would not jump into anything at your young age and if you decide to do anything after consulting a few specialists in this field it is my opinion that a conservative liposuction to the chin area would be your best option. I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further questions you are welcome to reach me personally via my website or email. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Can a Cheek Implant Infection Affect my Chin Implant?

+1

Difficult to answer your question with the photos you have posted.  Majority of double chin deformity especially in younger patients are the result of small jaw bone which shows itself as a weak chin that allows the neck skin to fold and appear as having too much fat. Chin implant is the answer in this case and not liposuction of the neck which will cause scarring and deformity without correcting the underlying problem.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon