Chin Liposuction Complications

Please tell me the complications and side effects possible with neck or chin liposuction. Thank you.

Complications of chin liposuction

+3

Basically, if you are not a great candidate for chin liposuction (you need great skin elasticity, good muscle tone, generally age less than 30), you will not have a great result from liposuction and your expectations from the procedure will probably not be met.

If you have extra skin, mediocre elasticity, lax muscles, and loss of depth and youthful angularity, you would be better served by a neck lift or a facelift depending on how severe your issues are. Liposuction has no role for these people and they make up at least 85+% of the patients I see who dislike their necks.

The main complication I see from liposuction done elsewhere is a rake-like scar especially noted when the patient tips their head back. This is a deformity that can't be completely fixed.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Complications from chin liposuction are rare

+2

The potential complications from liposuction are dimpling or puckering of skin, asymmetry, nerve damage, or undesirable result. These complications should be rare.

A couple of things to realize,

• liposuction takes time to see the result.
  • The skin will continue to tighten over time and so you will get some immediate benefit, but the real benefit comes weeks or months later.
  • Liposuction is limited by the structure you are born with such as the mandible and hyoid bone.
  • Your result is not permanent, if you gain weight then you may regain fullness in your neck.

Chin Liposuction Complications

+1
In the right hands, Chin Liposuction is very safe. It is important to be certain chin liposuction is the right procedure for you, as skin laxity can actually be worsened by liposuction in some cases. Precision, expertise and patience is required to get the best results from chin liposuction. 

Liposuction, as you may have heard in the popular media, is the most commonly performed surgical procedure each year in the United States. Here's a statistic that you may not have heard: the majority of physicians performing liposuction in the United States are not plastic surgeons; in fact, many do not have any formal surgical training whatsoever. It seems hard to believe, but many physicians performing liposuction have had no more training in liposuction than a 'weekend course'. One way to determine whether or not a physician has had appropriate training in a particular surgery is to confirm that they have hospital privileges for that procedure, and that the procedure is being performed in an accredited facility.  I would not be surproised to learn that these physicians will have lower prices and perhaps set prices for surgery

I fear that some practitioners view liposuction as a 'simple' surgery, since it does not involve making large incisions, and it requires little, if any, suturing. Nothing could be further from the truth. Liposuction, in my mind, is a very challenging and rewarding operation that requires careful planning and preparation, and a great deal of care and finesse when it is actually performed. It requires a three-dimensional understanding of the layers of human anatomy, an understanding that is second nature to a surgeon alone. I think that it is often an inadequate understanding of anatomy (and, perhaps, of the body's response to surgery) which leads to the poor results in liposuction that unfortunately are so often seen.

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com/necklift.html

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Complications of neck liposuction

+1
 The complications that can occur during liposuction are all extremely rare. They are numbness which is usually temporary, a temporary paralysis of the marginal mandibular nerve if it gets stretched, hematoma, dimpling. It's important to make sure the skin tone is quite adequate in the neck so that it shrink wraps over the new neck contour. In patients over 50 years of age a lower facelift will be required  to tighten skin

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/photogallery/neckliftandlipo_photos.html

Chin liposuction complications

+1

Good question, particularly since many patients and doctors think of liposuction as being a minimal risk procedure.  The risks are few and typically temporary but they're basically:

Dimpling of the skin

Asymmetry

Nerve injury causing lower lip weakness or asymmetry

bruising and swelling are definitely expected

That's are the main risks.

Web reference: http://chaselaymd.com/SlimLipo_Jaw_Neck_Lift.html

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Liposuction Complications

+1

There are a few potential complications, most are rare, from chin liposuction. These include dimpling/puckering of the skin, nerve damage, sagging under the chin, asymmetry, hematomas, and infection. If you are a good candidate with good muscle tone and skin elasticity you should do well.

"Dr.D"

Web reference: http://www.capefearaesthetics.com/details/plastic+surgery-19/

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction complications

+1

The main complications with liposuction are divits, asymmetries, skin irregularities, and skin bagging under the chin.  You could also have nerve injury, hematoma (bleeding under the skin) or seroma (fluid collecting under the skin).  Your surgeon will have a detailed discussion concerning the risks, benefits, and alternatives of your surgery.  The main thing is that if you have a lot of skin or fat under your chin, decompressing the skin with liposuction may result in skin hanging under your skin.  Your surgeon should help you form realistic expectation and answer all of your questions.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Web reference: http://www.makeyouperfect.com

Chin or Neck Liposuction complications are rare but can include nerve injury, rarely

+1

Chin or Neck Liposuction complications are fortunately rare.

The most common complication of any liposuction procedure is skin contour deformity-this occurs when too aggressive fat removal is done and the skin can appear irregular with wavy lines or bumps.

Hematoma or seroma can occur-this is when blood or fluid collects beneath the skin creating a localized swelling. If this occurs the doctor may have to aspirate or remove the fluid with a needle. Wearing a chin strap after neck liposuction helps greatly in avoiding this problem.

Nerve injury is very rare but can occur when too aggressive liposuction is done too deeply near the corner of the mouth. Most expert Liposuction doctors are trained to avoid this area for this reason.

Newer Laser Assisted Liposuction and Vaser or Ultrasonic liposuction techniques dissolve the fat by heating the fat. If too much heat is delivered close to the skin, burns can occur. Typically healing is successful with minimal scarring and happily burns are a rare occurrence.

Chin or Neck Liposuction is a safe procedure when performed by an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. I suggest consultation with at least two doctors, ask them about the risk of the complications I have mentioned and ask to see photos of their own results and if possible to speak to their patients. Generally an inexperienced doctor who you would not want to operate on you will be uncomfortable with this line of questioning.

Trust your instincts or gut feeling about your interaction with the doctor.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/double-chin/double-chin-new-laser-neck-lift-melts-fat-and-tightens-chin-skin-without-surgery/

Neck Liposuction Complications

+1

If your skin elasticity is adequate, complications should be rare. The most common ones are asymmetry which can be corrected and undercorrection which may require a surgical Neck lift. The thing to understand about Liposuction is that only subcutaneous fat can be removed.

Other issues such as muscle (platysma) laxity, subplatysmal fat, prominent or ptotic salivary glands, anterior digastric muscle hypertrophy can only be handled by other types of surgery. None of these problems can be reliably be diagnosed during the consultation. Bottom line is there is a limit to what neck liposuction can achieve.

Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Complications of chin lipo

+1

My lists are as follows: No results, irregular result, burns, bleeding, infection, lumpiness, hard areas, hair loss in area, numbness, scars. There you go. Good Luck from MIAMI