Chin Lipo Done Two Days Ago Sent Home with No Chin Strap? Is this Normal?

I just had lipo of the chin done 2 days ago and feel great and only have a little bit of swelling . I noticed all the comments of others who have had this done get sent home with some kind of chin strap. I did not? Is this bad?

I use the chin strap because that is what the surgeon who trained me did.

+2

To be honest, I am not really sure the chin strap is necessary.  I am not sure its use makes a bit of difference.  I would respect a surgeon who said they have stopped using it.  It is worth a call to your doctors office to learn if it was intentional or not.  It is always nice to be prepared.  If it is their policy not to use one, you should be informed of this before hand otherwise you end up feeling like it was an omission.  

Chin Strap Use following liposuction

+1

If only a small amount of liposuction was performed then it may not make much difference if you wear a chin strap or not. I suspect when moderate liposuction is done the chin strap makes more of a difference in shortening the  recovery period and the time to the final result. When significant liposuction is done especially with excess skin then an elastic garment hastens edema resolution and helps the skin contract as well. 

Garment for 3 days

+1

Wearing a compression garment is required to wear at least 3 days after the procedure. Rest is recommended for 24 hours after the procedure as well.

Chin Liposuction and post-operative garment

+1

I like to use a garment largely because it was the way that I was trained. I also feel that it expedites swelling resolution although I have no studies to support this opinion. I would call your surgeon's office to find out if they forgot to give you a strap or if they normally do not give them to their patients.

Chin Liposuction and Garment?

+1

Most plastic surgeons use garments after liposuction surgery. Check with your surgeon to see if this is “normal” for their practice.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_liposuction.htm

Chin liposuction and chin strap

+1
I use a small chin strap after chin liposuction. I feel that a chin strap or some type of a pressure bandage like tape etc.. Is beneficial in the healing process. Most patients actually like to wear them and while they may not use 24hours a day they may use at bedtime. It is a good reminder to keep your chin up, it helps minimize bruising and /or swelling in the post surgical phase. Not all surgeons use them and it is a matter of choice so the answer is no it is not bad. Best regards Michael v. Elam, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.michaelelammd.com

+1

Is it a requirement? I do not believe so but is it a standard of care? YES. So I recommend some form of chin strapping. 

Chin Strap After Chin Liposuction

+1

You may want to ask your surgeon about this, perhaps there is a reason that you did not need one or maybe someone forget to give it to you.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon