Is Chin Lipo Right for Me? (photo)

I've had no neck/chin definition since I was a teenager. I am 31 now and just got married. I was horrified at my wedding pictures. I just lost 35 pounds and have 15 more to go, but like I said, I was not overweight as a teenager and always had this problem. If I am able to lose the last 15 pounds, will it look ok? What kind of lipo is right for this problem and what are general rates?

Chin or Neck Liposuction if Overweight

+2

You should be so proud. Way to go! 

Looking at that one picture, you do not have a fatty looking chin and neck. However, usually you can see the fat better if the head is tilted down. So I assume we are not seeing you when the problem really is most apparent.

Liposuction of the neck/chin works well even if one is still 15 pounds overweight. The procedure can easily be done under local anesthesia with something being given to keep you calm.

Recovery is fast. Most of our people go back to most of their normal activities in one or two days.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

You Appear to be a Good Candidate for Chin Liposuction

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to have concerns about the aesthetic appearance of the chin, jawline, and neck. These concerns are usually related to skin laxity, neck fat, muscle abnormalities, and differences of the underlying bones. The type of procedure performed to correct these problems is entirely dependent upon the anatomic cause of the condition.

Your picture suggest localized fat of the neck in the presence of what appears to be relatively tight neck skin. The fat accumulation is probably more severe than your pictures indicate because your pictures have been taken with your neck extended. Without a physical examination, it’s difficult to evaluate your skin tone and this might be a potential problem.

Based on the information available it appears that you would be a good candidate for chin liposuction. However, continued weight loss might result in loose saggy neck skin. Under these circumstances, you might eventually require a neck lift procedure as well.

It’s important to consult a board-certified plastic surgeon who has experience in this area. This surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction will make a difference in your chin and neck

+1

While this is not an ideal picture I can understand what it is you might want to change.  Your profile is just as important to a surgeon since the amount of skin retraction after liposuction is the issue.  You are young enough that the skin will retract with some compression after the fat is removed.

Recovery can take a week or more depending on the bruising.  Costs vary but expect to have to pay more than $2,000 for this to be done right.  Search for a Board Certified surgeon and don't cut corners.  It is your neck that is on the line here after all.

Phillip C. Haeck, MD

No neck or chin since teenage years

+1

While losing an additional 15 pounds will affect the fullness under your chin a bit I suspect that your anatomy is largely at play here as well. This is based on your comment that you had similar issues as a teen when your weight was lower. In these situations chin augmentation and/or a neck lift may be beneficial.

Without more detailed photos it's hard to say what liposuction alone would do. It's great that you've already lost 35 pounds and it would be best to reach your goal weight before having any surgery.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Liposuction of the chin

+1

As you lose weight the contour of your chin may improve without any surgical intervention. However you may still have some fat that may not respond to weight loss. Based on this one photo it is not possible to determine if chin liposuction is appropriate for you. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for an examination to determine if you are a good candidate for this type of procedure.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Losing another 15 pounds will have a profound effect on your appearance.

+1

Congratualtions!  Losing this much weight is amazing.  You will look better and feel better.  There is no question that losing more weight will have further beneficial effect on your apprearance.  At your age, you may or may not have issues with skin laxity.  I would say, don't worry about that right now.  Just continue on course and get to your traget weight.  Remember liposuction is not about weight reduction.  Problem areas that persist once you have achieved your target weight can be sculpted with liposuction.