How Often is a Chin Lift Needed After Chin Liposuction?

How many weeks after lipo will it be obvious if my skin is sagging and will be in need of another procedure? Not all patients end up needing a lift, right?

Chin lift after liposuction

+1

I usually reserve judgment on lipo results for about three months.   

There are instances, however, where liposuction will reveal issues with the neck that were not apparent until the overlying fat was removed.  I just saw a lady today whose neck bands appeared after her lipo by another doctor.  The other doctor did not really do anything "wrong" other than not warn her that this sometimes is the case.   

Whether or not you end up with a good result depends a lot of your skin tone.  But ....... if you live to a ripe old age, even those with great skin tone end up with some sagging and banding issues in the neck.   So I guess the real answer is that everyone one will eventually "need" a chin lift unless they live fast, die young and leave good looking corpse.  Sorry to be so morbid but it is almost Halloween. 

Will I have loose skin after liposuction to the neck?

+1

In general I try to determine whether a skin tightening procedure is needed at the initial consultation.  Age of the patient, skin elasticity, and amount of neck fat likely determine whether any additional procedure will be needed. I would say between 3-4 months out most of the swelling is gone after liposuction and the skin has had all the time needed to contract. If at this time it looks lax, prepare for a more aggressive procedure.

Christian Prada, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

People are so impatient.

+1

I think you will have a pretty good idea of what is going on by 4 months after your initial procedure.  I generally like to wait 6 to 12 months before revising these procedures because of the slow natural improvement that follows after a liposuction procedure.

+1

If at 6 weeks post op from lipo of the chin you see some "hanging" than you could have a excision or submental lipectomy. I usually determine in the pre operative visit or the initial consult if excision is also needed at time of the lipo.