Chin / Jaw Implant, Do I Look Like a Candidate? (photo)

I am certain I want a rhinoplasty. However, I am also wondering about chin and jaw implants. I really don't like the way my chin looks from the side view of my face, and I also feel that my jaw is narrow from the front. Also, I had braces when I was younger, but I think my bite was not fully corrected. Does that affect my facial profile? Finally, what's the best way to determine the skill level of a plastic surgeon? I'm afraid I'll go to one that won't do a good job. Thanks!

Chin/jaw implant candidate

+1

Jaw implants are placed intraorally and inserted over the angle of the mandible to create a more squared jaw appearance.  A chin implant is placed in the front portion of the chin through a submental incision to increase chin projection.  When a large nose is present, it can make the chin appear weak or retrusive.  In turn, a weak retrusive chin can cause the nose to look more projected.  A rhinoplasty and chin implant can be performed under the same anesthesia and will take approximately 2 hours.  De-projection of the nose with hump removal can be performed along with chin augmentation to balance the two facial features.

Computer Imaging and Chin and Jaw Angle Implants

+1

The best way to determine how one may look with a variety of differing chin and/or jaw implants is through computer imaging. There are numerous styles and size of chin and jaw angle implants and it would be important to get the best match for your jaw shape and size. Your chin is more narrow than horizontally short and our jaw angles are vertically long enough but may benefit by some additional flare.

Web reference: http://www.eppleychinaugmentation.com/

You look like a great candidate for an anatomical extended chin implant.

+1

Hi.  I hope you find this article about how to pick a surgeon useful.

1) Is the surgeon a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery? Members usually do a lot of cosmetic surgery.

2) Did you sense a commitment to excellence in the office. Did the surgeon spend a lot of time with you? Someone who rushes through the consultation may rush through the surgery.

3) Were you treated as an individual? Did the surgeon present you with a surgical plan tailor made for you?

4) Plastic surgeons have to have a good eye and meticulous technique.  Did the surgeon show you A LOT of before and after pictures, and did you love the results?

5) Talk to other doctors you know. Established plastic surgeons have a reputation in the community, good or bad.

6)  Ask to speak to a patient who has had the procedure you want.  You are looking for a surgeon who does a lot of what you want.   Many  patients are eager to share their experience.  Privacy is preserved by having the patient call you.

7)   With office surgery, make sure the surgical facility is ACCREDITED.   Very important safety assurance.

8)   Make sure the anesthesia is given by a BOARD CERTIFIED ANESTHESIOLOGIST.  Another very important safety factor.

9)  Make sure the office has trained nurses available for hands-on post operative care.  This can really speed recovery.