Chin Injections vs. Chin Implant For 23 y/o?

I have seen a lot of surgeons in the past year who have told me that I need a chin implant. I have an overbite which causes my chin to be receded. I am very self-conscious with my chin and don't really have the funds to pay for implant right now. I was wondering what professionals/doctors thought of the alternative, chin injections. What are the pros and cons of chin injections and is it similar to an actual implant? Also was seeking info about injections for smile lines (I'm 23 years old).

Your overbite should ideally be addressed first...

+1

While injections are certainly a viable alternative to chin implant augmentation, you should be evaluated for your dental malocclusion (overbite) prior to either.  If there is a functional bite problem present, then orthognathic surgery (to correct your bite) may correct both issues with one procedure.  Once that evaluation has been completed, if you wish to proceed only with chin augmentation for cosmetic reasons then either an implant or injections can be considered.  In addition to the extent of augmentation possible with injections (likely less augmentation than an implant), you should consider the need for repeat injections at regular intervals for as long as you wish to have your chin augmented. Cost will also be a concern with this method, as you will easily exceed the cost of an implant procedure within the first 10 years of injections.  Good luck with your decision!

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Augmentation versus Fillers

+1

If several surgeons have told you that you need a chin implant then it would be wise to save your money for the procedure. While injections can be okay for a small amount of augmentation they are costly as they need to be repeated. They also will not give the same increase that you would receive  from getting the Chin Augmentation. Fillers around the mouth for smile lines are very effective and have a high level of patient satisfaction. I prefer to use Juvederm in this area with excellent results. I use a digital imaging computer during Chin Augmentation consultations and this is very helpful allowing the patient to see the proposed result. I hope this was helpful and answers some of your concerns. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Chin Augmentation: Fillers vs Implant

+1

Both fillers (for mild to minimal problem) and implants are reasonable choices for a chin augmentation. However over the long haul it will cost you more to use fillers as they will have to be redone every year or two for maintenance. Best bet - don't be penny wise and dollar foolish - save your money for an implant.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Chin Implant vs Chin Injections

+1

I'm sorry that money will influence your decision to use fillers for chin augmentation. Fillers are a reasonable alternative as long as you don't have a severely recessed chin. However, you are a young person who will spend a lot more money with repeated injections over your lifetime. After you determine the cost of the fillers you will decide if that is what you want to do vs saving money to have permanent correction with an implant.

Chin Implant vs. Fillers

+1

Both chin implants and fillers are good options. However the difference may or may not be very significant as you may need a significant amount of filler to achieve a result equivalent to an implant. This will depend on how much volume you need to augment, the type of filler and the cost of the filler vs. the implant in your particular area. Best of luck. M Samaha, MD

Mark Samaha, MD
Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler injections are a great alternative to a chin implant.

+1

A chin implant is placed by undergoing a surgical procedure (mentoplasty). An incision is either placed inside the mouth in the sulcus between the front lower teeth and lip, or on the skin under the chin. A solid implant  (there are many different types) is then placed in a tunnel created over the mandibular bone and sutured or screwed into place. Alternatives to having an implant placed include actually cutting the mandibular bone and sliding it into a different position (genioplasty).

A much less invasive technique involves injections, performed in the office, with little to no down-time. Local anesthesia may or may not be used. A filler like Radiesse or Restylane/Juvederm is placed along the chin to elevate the tissues and simulate an implant. The procedure has little risk and the results may last for a year. Certainly fillers should be considered as an alternative to chin augmentation surgery.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Both chin filler injections and a chin implant are good options for augmentation or reshaping of the chin. If a chin implant is too expensive at this time, then a filler such as Radiesse can give you very similar but temporary results. The filler results should last you about 12 months and give you a very good idea of what to expect following a permanent chin implant. I hope this is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Augmentation Options

+1

For very small chin augmentations and chin asymmetries or irregularities, a long acting filler such as Aquamid can provide correction for up to 5 years.  However, for anything more significant I would strongly recommend going with the more permanant implant option.  Glad I could help...RAS 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Chin implant versus fillers.

+1

There is no way I would recommend an injectible filler for a significant chin deficiency. The costs in your lifetime will be much less if you have the relatively simple, permanent silastic chin implant .

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler Injections Are a Good Option If You Can't Have a Chin Implant

+1

While the best option for what you are describing would be a chin implant, filler injections into the chin would be a less expensive, relatively easy, but temporary option. If you were to decide on injections, I would recommend Radiesse. It not only will provide the most volume per syringe, but lasts longer than the hyaluronic acid fillers. As far as the smile lines are concerned, if you are talking about the crinkles around the eyes, then a neuromodulator (Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin) would work best. Of the 3, Dysport seems to spread best, making it ideal for the lines next to your eyes. Both these injections can be done quickly, usually in a 20-30 minute office visit. You would see the results in the chin immediately, while the results for the smile lines would take 3-5 days to appear. Good Luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon