Considering Chin Implant, But I Want a Second Opinion. (photo)

I am getting rhinoplasty, and the surgeon mentioned that my chin would look better projected more. I knew it always looked a little off, but I just thought it was the length and angle of my neck that bothered me. I don't know anything about chin implants, and was curious if one would improve my profile.

Considering Chin Implant, But I Want a Second Opinion?

+1
The chin and jaw line are important characteristics in male and female faces and if weak or recessed can result in facial imbalance. Chin augmentation can be achieved by several methods:
  • Non-surgical augmentation of the chin with fillers (hyaluronic acid, Radiesse) offer a conservative augmentation that is temporary for between 6-12months. Fillers are generally softer materials so the augmentation of the bone along the jaw line is generally limited in effectiveness. They offer the advantage of a non-surgical procedure that enable a patient to “try out an improvement” before surgery.
  • Chin augmentation with a chin implant requires a surgical procedure to insert the chin implant, however the size of the implant can be tailored to the individual and the implants will last long-term.
  • Augmentation of the chin with jaw advancement surgery (termed sliding genioplasty) requires more invasive surgery than insertion of a chin implant. Often the treatment is coupled with orthodontics requiring braces to realign bite that requires many months of treatment, there is numbness in the area of the jaw after treatment which can be permanent.
Non-surgical treatments have a fairly limited effectiveness and are only useful for a mild augmentation of the chin for a temporary period. For most individuals the insertion of a chin implant is generally effective and long-lasting. 

London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Conservative approach to rhinoplasty and chin augment

+1
You could have both a rhinoplasty and the chin augment at once. It is more cost effective that way. However the appearance of the chin from profile view does not tell the whole story. Augmenting the chin changes the shape of the face. Personally, I prefer to perform the rhinoplasty and allow the patient to psychologically adapt to the improved appearance. In most instances, they ultimately decide not to augment the chin which, I think, says it all. Upselling is good for the surgeon's pocket but I think that the greater goal is a lasting relationship with the patient.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Chin implant and rhinoplasty

+1

Chin implants are often considered with rhinoplasty. This is one of my favorite operations and the combination can often give a substantial improvement in one's appearance. However, from the photo you submitted I would not say that your chin is the primary issue. Without the benefit of an exam, or more photos, my inclination would be to not perform a chin implant at this time.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Chin Implants and Rhinoplasty

+1

In order to obtain a balance when a patient comes in for rhinoplasty, I think it’s very important to look at their lower face. If the patient has a microgenia, or small chin, I think a chin implant will improve their overall profile appearance.  It is important to mention this to the patient and consider doing it simultaneously with the rhinoplasty.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

A chin implant would balance your face better

+1

From your profile view, it appears the your chin is recessed . As long as you don't have a problem with the position of your upper teeth in relation to your lower teeth, a chin implant would be the correct procedure to balance your face. If your lower teeth are set back compared to your upper teeth then you may need to have the lower jawbone advanced forward. There are different types of chin implants depending on whether you need just the point of the chin augmented or if you need an extended chin implant which provides fullness along the lower jaw line

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Chin Enhancement to Improve Profile

+1

A chin implant will improve your profile and actually improve your rhinoplasty results. A chin implant alone would improve facial proportions and give the illusion of a smaller less-projected nose.

Chin implant for a better profile.

+1
A chin implant would give you a better profile. Your chin would give you a better profile if it projected more. We have numerous examples on our website.

Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation a Great Combo

+1

Curious Gurl, you are wise to consider chin augmentation along with your rhinoplasty

Ideally, the chin should protrude forward enough for touch an invisible vertical line dropped from the upper and lower lips.

Right now, your facial anatomy does not quite fit that ideal.

There are three good reasons to combine with  rhinoplasty: 1) One surgery, one recovery period, 2) More economical; most practices reduce the fee of the second procedure when done with the first. and 3) One anesthetic. Today, anesthesia is unbelieveably safe. But isn't it wise to have all the work done under one anesthetic reather than two?

Go for it!

-Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Robert Kotler, MD

Chin implant with rhinoplasty?

+1

Yes, I agree with your surgeon that, based on your profile view, you will benefit from a chin implant with the rhinoplasty to improve balance among your facial features.  The effect will be subtle, but real.

Steve Laverson, MD