I Had a Chin Implant, Neck Lift, and Liposuction Done Two Days Ago. Why is my cheeks and lower lips are still swollen?

I had a chin implant, neck lift, and liposuction done two days ago. My cheeks and lower lip are still swollen. I notice when I press on the right side of my implant, I get a weird radiating sensation to my lower right lip and the area below it. Is this normal and will it always do this when i press on my implant? Also, I noticed that the left edge/tip of my implant is not snug to my bone. Is this because of the swelling and will it adhere after the swelling is gone? Thanks so much for your help.

Swelling and numbness are common after surgery.

+2

Swelling and numbness are both quite common so soon after surgery. The swelling should begin to subside after approximately one week and most of the sensation should return to the area over the next few weeks. If the swelling increases or becomes severely lopsided, be sure to call your surgeon’s office for post op advice.

It is best not to massage, squeeze or touch your implant while it is healing. It will take at least one week for your implant to “find its place” and any outside pressure put on it from you may disrupt this healing process.

As always, be sure to check with your surgeon for specific post op instructions but at The Plastic Surgery Clinic we always advise our patients to do less to heal more.

I Had a Chin Implant, Neck Lift, and Liposuction Done Two Days Ago, Have Swelling?

+2

I have performed Cheek and Chin Implant surgeries many times in the past 25 years and IMHO, you should refrain from pushing on the chin implant during the first month.  The pressure from your finger is enough to cause the tail, of the chin implant, to become displaced and crooked.  

The altered sensation to the lower lip is from the implants proximity to the mental nerve along the jaw line.  At 2 days post op, swelling and numbness is very common.  You might want to see the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that id your Neck Lift and Chin Implant for specific post op instructions and be sure to mention that you've been feeling and touching the implant.  

Swelling Normal 2 days after surgery

+1

All of the sensations and observations that  you are mentioning are typical of the early post operative period. It is way too early to be be pressing on your face or implant and it is possible you could even dislodge it. Follow your plastic surgeon's advise exactly and keep your regular appointments.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Chin Implant with Neck Lift and Liposuction

+1
Two days post surgery it is common to have swelling and tenderness. I would leave the prodding to your surgeon and go in for recheck appointments and review your concerns with your surgeon so that you may set your mind at ease. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Swelling 2 Daays after Chin Implant, Neck Lift and Liposuction

+1

2 days after surgery everybody is swollen. It is impossible to comment on your other concerns over the internet. I'm sure you will be fine, but talk to your surgeon.