I Had a Chin Implant, Neck and Facelift 3 Months Ago. Have Uncomfortable Tightness Under my Chin and to my Ears, Will It Improve

I feel like I want to constantly support under my ears with my hands. I also am continually uncomfortable and feel I should not bend my head down or look down as it feels like it is straining. My surgeon does not agree with support garments. I do overall feel he has done a good and natural looking job. My incisions look very good and all other concerning symptons have righted themselves. Thank you for your time.

Tightness after surgery

+1

It is very common to have tightness after surgery.  It should keep improving with time, for up to a year after surgery.  If not improving, or worsening you should follow up with your surgeon.

Tightness After a Face and Necklift Typically Improves Over Time

+1

Hi 24slim,

I'm glad your results look very good and natural, this most likely also means that you were not lifted overly tight.  Patients who look tight often times had too much skin removed which would contribute to the tightness.

The tightness will continue to improve.  If you compare the tightness from the first week after surgery until now, most likely you will notice a significant improvement.  From a day to day standpoint, you may not notice as much gradual improvement in the tightness.  Why?  It is like watching water boil.  From day to day, you may not notice an improvement, but if you think back a month or two ago, you will appreciate that the tightness has improved.

Although the incision heal quickly after the sutures are typically removed after 1 week, patients don't realize that the face and neck will continue to heal from many months and up to a year after surgery.  3 months is still considered early after surgery if you know that healing continues for up to 12 months.  If the patient's incision appear healed after 2 weeks, then the patient may feel that by 3 months they are completely healed.

The facelift can change in the first 3-6 months, as the swelling decreases.  This early swelling doesn't necessarily look bad, but instead it can look very good.  This is called "honeymoon swelling."  The slight swelling of the cheeks can add volume to the face without looking swollen.  Many patients who are getting older, actually have loss of cheek fat, so this honeymoon swelling actually looks good on them.  The honeymoon swelling goes away around the 3-6 month period, and the final result begins to show more.

As the swelling on the face decreases, the tightness also improves.  

I hope this response makes some sense to you.

Dr. Yang

George Yang, MD

Face and Neck Tightness after Facelift

+1

Everyone reacts differently to a Facelift. Feeling access and neck tightness is not uncommon and resolves with time. Be patient and follow with your surgeon.