Will a Chin Implant Improve my Profile?

Hello, I'm wondering if chin implant would improve my profile? Currently I'm wearing braces for year and 5 months, and have had my upper premolars extracted. My orthodontist never suggested jaw surgery. He also told me that with braces my profile would improve, but I don't see any difference.

Don't know if I'm candidate for jaw surgery, my teeth are almost in proper alignment, but it's still unnatural to close my mouth and breathe through nose. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Chin implant to improve profile

+1

A chin implant is an excellent augmentation technique to improve the projection of receding chin.  The chin implant receder by itself can be performed under local anesthesia in an office setting.  It is important to note that your teeth are in good alignment.  Any nasal obstruction that is occurring can be addressed through either medications such as antihistamines, decongestants, or cortisone nasal sprays to help with allergies.  Additionally, if there is a deviated septum or turbinate hypertrophy this can be addressed through surgical techniques such as a septoplasty and submucous resection of the inferior turbinates. This will improve airflow dynamics through the nose.  Both the nasal and chin procedures can be performed at the same time under general anesthesia.  

Chin Advancement to Improve Profile

+1

Chin augmentation with jaw advancement or placement of a chin implant will significantly improve your profile. If possible, I suggest the implant because it is a much easier procedure.

Chin implant versus jaw surgery

+1
Thank you for your photographs this is a common question with patients under going orthodontic work and having receding jaws. A chin augmentation would be a very simple procedure and would give you a significant change in your profile. Many patients that I have seen in my practice come in with the same situation and if there is no underlying jaw problems that will lead to tmj and no need for corrective jaw surgery other then a cosmetic effect then augmentation is the way to go. It is a simple procedure which I perform through a small external incision under the chin. Healing is quick and you have minimal downtime, swelling and bruising. I would suggest while consulting surgeons if you have a recommended surgeon who has a digital imaging computer in his/her office they can show you the proposed results of your procedure during the consulting appointment. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Chin implant to improve profile

+1

From your photos your chin does appear underprojected. A few options to correct this include:

1. Chin implant: The most strightforward option with the easiest recovery. It won't change your tooth alignment or improve your airway (help your breathing)
  2. Sliding genioplasty: This involves making bone cuts in the chin bone, advancing it forward and plating it in an advanced position. This is also same day surgery, but can lead to somewhat more swelling and pain. It doesn't change tooth position either.
  3. Orthognathic surgery: This is typically done by an oral surgeon and involves making several bone cuts in the upper and or lower jaw and changing their position. This surgery changes tooth position and can improve the airway as well.

You should discuss your chin concerns with your orthodontist to see what options you should consider. If you don't need orthognathic surgery finding a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who performs both chin implantation and sliding genioplasty would allow you to get the best sense of the best option for you.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Chin Implant

+1

The chin is often overlooked when evaluating the profile, but if can greatly enhance your profile!!!  Based on your photos, I would think that a chin implant would really enhance your appearance and it is a relatively simple procedure after which you can go home the same day.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Chin surgery

+1

There are a number of potential options. One option would be  chin implant  , another option would be a chin advancement and a third option would be jaw surgery. The best choice depends on a number of factors which would best be addressed by an experienced surgeon.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Chin implant significantly improves profile.

+1

Hi.

From your pictures, i would say that a chin implant will really help your appearance, and it is much less surgery than jaw surgery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Chin implant

+1

You have two options

1: chin implant

2: Osteotomy and chin advancement.

Talk with your orthodntist and your plastic surgeon between the both of them and the information from  the x-ray and your bite status they will be able to advise you