Thinking about Getting a Chin Implant - Would it Help?

I am thinking of getting a chin implant. Think it would help? If so, what size should I get?

Chin implant

+1

A chin implant does help with chin retrusion.  The implants are placed through a half-inch incision in the submental crease and inserted directly over the bone under the muscle.  They come in many different sizes and shapes: small, medium, large, and extra large.  The size is determined at the time of consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.  Look for a surgeon who has performed many, many facial implants.  

Chin implant

+1

A chin implant is used to balance the face when the chin is "behind" a line drawn from the forehead straight down. Many times, I will inject saline solution so the patient has an idea what it would look like. Another option that is non-surgical is to use a filler like Juvederm or Restylane. A permanent solution is the chin implant which I place through the mouth or with a small cut underneath the chin.

Your chin from the photos you posted is quite large, strong. I would like to see your whole face but from just these, I feel you do not need a chin implant and it may actually cause your chin to be overly projecting. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Hard to say without an exam

+1

A chin implant will certainly make your chin look larger but you may be better off with a sliding genioplasty or lower jaw surgery.  I suggest that you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area .   Good Luck.

Dr Grant Stevens     Marina Plastic Surgery   Marina del Rey, California    310-827-2653

Grant Stevens, MD

Would chin implant help

+1

From your photos it certainly seems as though augmenting the chin would help with projecting your chin area.

The issue is whether you'd be better served with a sliding genioplasty and/or orthognathic surgery. The later realligns your tooth position and can provide pretty extensive gains in lower jaw projection.

An in person exam would allow your surgery to give you an assessment of which approach(es) you could consider and what results are possible.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Chin Implant Expectations Need to Be Realistic

+1

It appears as though you may need to have a mandibular advancement instead of a chin implant.  However, it's difficult to give you exact answers without examining you in person.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Chin implant may not be the way to go.

+1

It is impossible to tell how your teeth come together, but oral surgical evaluation will tell this, as well as allow you to obtain information about jaw advancement surgery. Otherwise, you will require a large or extra large anatomic chin implant, similar to  the one I used in the case linked to below.

Start with an experienced oral and maxillofacial surgeon who can evaluate the teeth, jaw, and chin and give you the best advice that takes into account all of these factors! Good luck!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant for small jaw

+1

Based on the pictures, you have a very small and underdeveloped mandible (jaw) and this would be better corrected by a procedure to advance the mandible rather than augmenting the chin.

Kristin Egan, MD
Manhattan Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consider Genioplasty

+1

Based on your degree of Microgenia and Mandibular recession, you would be a better candidate for advancement of the lower jaw by an Oral Surgeon. This is called a sliding Genioplasty. Dr. G

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, the picture shows a very weak chin.

+1

Size 3 is the largest one that I like to use as any larger, IMHO, is just to thick to keep stable.