Chin Implant For Class II Mandibular Malocclusion But Very Good Bite?

I have been told that I have a class II mandibular malocclusion but a very good bite. The maxiolofacial surgeon told me that if I wanted my receding chin fixed I would have to go through to years of braces and painful surgery. He advised against it. I am upset with the way my profile looks, particularly the fact that I can't close my mouth without straining and having my chin dimple. Would a chin implant me close my mouth/ look better?

Class 2 Maloclussion

+1

If you cannot close your mouth, I don't understand why your bite is said to be OK.  A chin implant may improve your profile, but over time the maloclussion may cause wear and tear on your joints (TMJ).  

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

The implant will not help with the closing of the mouth, but the implant may help with the look of a receding chin.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of chin implants and facial procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Chin Implant and Class II Malocclusion

+1

A chin implant will significantly improve the cosmetic appearance of having a small/receded chin, but it won't do anything for the actual relationship between the upper and lower teeth.  However, you say that your OMFS says your bite is still good despite the Class II MO, so that should not be a concern.  Your OMFS is probably giving you good advice by steering you away from a large, painful surgery to correct the Class II MO.  Instead, you may indeed be a good candidate for a chin implant.   Although the chin implant will greatly improve your profile and will also place your lip in a better position, remember that it won't directly do anything to help you close you mouth.  I hope you are finding the answers you need, and best of luck to you. 

Lynn Chiu-Collins, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant for receding chin

+1

Placement of a chin implant will not make a patient close  their mouth, it will simply bring the chin forward cosmetically. Chin implants come  in a variety of sizes and shapes, are composed of Silastic and are inserted through a small sub-mental  incision under local anesthesia. The link below shows examples of what  a chin implant can accomplish in our practice