6 months post jaw advancement surgery: Do I Need a Chin Implant? (photo)

i had jaw advancement surgery six months ago,but im not so happy with the end result..i think my chin is still weak.my surgeon never didnt say that i need genioplasty,and now if i want a genioplasty i have to pay it myself,i dont have the money yet for it,so wat is your opinion,do i really need a chin implant ??

Chin implant surgery and genioplasty options

+1

Chin implants work well to enhance chin projection.  Patients with significant left to right chin asymmetry may require a genioplasty instead.

Chin implant

+1

Based on your photos, it appears you would benefit from a small chin implant to add more projection to the chin. I think you would be really happy with the end result! However, it is really a personal preference and up to you if you wanted to have any procedure performed. From here, I would recommend a consult with a board certified surgeon who uses computer imaging software. He/she will be able to morph a photo of you and give you an idea of how the final result may appear. There are financing companies available that allow you to divide your surgery into payments, making it more affordable. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

You are an excellent candidate for chin augmentation with an implant

+1

Dear leah27,

You are an excellent candidate for a chin augmentation with a chin implant. This procedure is highly effective with a short recovery period and extremely high patient satisfaction. I use a digital imaging computer which allows me to show my consulting chin augmentation patients how their proposed procedure would look and this really helps the patient to see  how this simple modification really helps place the facial aesthetics and structures in harmony with each other. 

Michael Elam, MD

Chin augmentation may be done surgically or non-surgically

+1

Consider non-surgical chin augmentation!  It has several advantages.

1. Done in the office without surgery.
  2. Can be modified to your chin if you have any previous asymmetries.
  3. You can try saline first if you want to see how it looks.
  4. It's a nice way to decide if you want surgery eventually.

I've attached a video about the procedure for you to check out.

Good luck!

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation

+1

From your pictures, it does appear that your chin could be improved with more projection, as a chin implant would accomplish.  I would discuss your concern with your surgeon so that he or she can advise you and determine the best timing of such a procedure if you choose to proceed.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant after orthognathic surgery

+1

I agree with you that your chin is out of balance with the rest of your face.  The cosmetic appearance of the chin is complex, and can be influenced by many factors - the thickness and length of your lip, your nose, and your neck are a few big ones.  

I would recommend that you see a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area with specialization in craniofacial surgery to evaluate you and discuss options with you.  While they are helpful, the pictures you have provided don't allow a more detailed discussion of your various options.

I hope this helps,

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

Chin Implant

+1

Elective cosmetic surgery is never needed, but can be considered reasonable if there are indications for the procedure and if the patient's desires are in line with what a procedure can offer.  In this case, the photos how a profile that would likely benefit aesthetically from a chin implant.  However, 6 months after orthognathic surgery may be a little too soon.  I would defer surgery for at least 6 months.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon