I have a weak chin and no definition in the neck/jawline. Should I Get a Chin Implant? (photo)

I have a weak chin and no definition in the neck/jawline I want a more sculpted face and better profile. I am hoping chin augmentation along with neck liposuction will fix this. Can I achieve the results I want through an implant? or what would you recommend?

Chin Implant - Candidate Criteria

+1

From you photos it would appear you are a good candidate for a chin implant and possibly submental liposuction (exam needed first). Here is what you need to know about chin implant surgery:

Candidates for Chin Augmentation
Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation.

Intended Result
Chin augmentation most often is used to restore balance to the face due to a weak chin (under-projecting in profile). This disproportion of facial structure—having a small chin—tends to make the nose look larger and results in a poor jaw/neckline. As it doesn’t support the neck skin, often it causes skin to hang down from the upper neck and can lead eventually to a “turkey waddle” deformity. Chin implants can also create a wider, stronger chin. They can also be used to lengthen the face slightly.

The augmentation is performed  with a sterile, biologically inert implant (such as silicone or Medpor) which is placed over the bone of the lower jaw so it feels like your real chin and not like a separate implant.

A wide range of chin implants are available, depending on the patient’s needs and goals. These implants vary in their dimensions and are made of different materials. The proper selection of the correct size and type of implant by your plastic surgeon is critical for you to achieve the look you want.

It is very important to select a highly-skilled, board-certified plastic surgeon, such as one of our doctors, to aid you in selecting the implants and insertion methods that will give you the best possible result.

Would I benefit from a chin implant?

+1

Based on your photos, it appears you would benefit from a chin implant. It would greatly enhance the appearance of your profile, and I think you would be really happy with the result! You may benefit from submental/jowl lipo as well, as it can further enhance your result. From here, I would recommend a consultation with an experienced board certified facial plastic surgeon. He/she may use computer imaging software to give you an idea of how the final result may appear. Thank you, and congratulations on taking the first step toward improving your profile!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Chin implant and liposuction for a more defined jawline

+1

A chin implant can certainly be performed to add more projection to the chin and give a stronger jaw line.  Liposuction in the neck can accentuate the jaw line as well.  Both of these procedures can be performed under a local anesthesia and will take approximately an hour to perform.

Should I Get a Chin Implant?

+1

Yes. You are a candidate for a chin implant and very conservative liposuction of your jawline area. This would refine your profile view and improve your chin position. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant would help create a stonger profile

+1

Looking at the pictures you provided I would say a small chin implant would give you the angularity and strength of a jawline you desire. I would have to fully examine you to determine if liposuction would be necessary to add additional refinement. Usually younger individuals can get away with simple neck liposuction is areas that are resistant to overall weight loss regimens because skin elasticity is so good. Both procedures can be done under straight local or with sedation in the office. Excellent results can be expected after consultion with a board certified facial plastic surgeon in your area. Good Luck!

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant

+1

Based on your photos, I think you could benefit from a chin implant.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons to discuss your concerns and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Chin implant

+1

Either a chin implant or simply moving your chin point forward some would improve your profile.  With your age, you may want to consider a bony chin surgery - it takes about the same time in experienced hands, and you won't have to deal with a piece of silicone or plastic in your chin (which will cause the bone to erode over time).

That said, either procedure could help you accomplish your cosmetic goals.  From your pictures, liposuction is unnecessary.

Hope this helps,

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

Chin implant

+1

From your pictures, it does appear that chin augmentation surgery would improve your profile.  I do not see where liposuction of the neck would help however.  So my recommendation would be for the chin implant without liposuction of the neck.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon