Do I Need a Chin Implant? (photo)

I recently went in for a rhinoplasty consultation and the physician recommended a chin implant. I was very taken back by the suggestion as I had never considered this but the more I think about it the more I believe it might be a good idea. The thing is I like the way I look every which way, except in my profile (because of my nose) and I am concerned that if I got the chin implant it would change my face too much. I just want some suggestions if possible! Thank You!

Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation Often a Great Combo

+1

Kudos to your surgeon for giving you good advice.

This underscores the importance of having a complete consultation where the doctor looks at and evaluates all facial features to give his best advice.

In my opinion, your chin result will be a great compliment to the rhinoplasty.

If in doubt, have computer imaging. Always a good idea to see the predicted result of the recommended procedure(s).

Robert Kotler,MD, FACS

Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Web reference: http://www.robertkotlermd.com

Chin Implant with Rhinoplasty: Improved facial harmony and improved patient satisfaction

+1

Rhinoplasty or nose job can improve both the look and function of your nose. Your nose is an important component to your face and correction of the cosmetic flaws in the nose depends on your face and facial balance. In profile, the chin and nose are points of focus and balance between the two is vital. A prominent nose and weak chin can give your face a rounded appearance, and in correcting the prominent nose an uncorrected chin can lead to a perceived underwhelming result. In a harmonious female face, the projection of the lower lip should be slightly in front of that of the chin. A weak chin can be easily corrected with a chin implant which is placed through a small incision in the natural crease in under the chin. This can be referred to as a mentoplasty or implant genioplasty, and the implant can be made of silicone(most common), porous polyethylene, or Gore-tex. Injectable fillers or biostimulators such as Sculptra can also be used as an adjunct to the implant. The operation can be performed at the time of the rhinoplasty and usually takes approximately one hour with no increase in recovery time. Some weak chins are too weak to be improved with even a large chin implant or the crease above the chin is too deep, which in this circumstance can be addressed with a more invasive and complicated jaw surgery (osseous genioplasty). The amount of chin projection should be discussed with your plastic surgeon and pre-operative measurements and imaging can be a useful tool in figuring the value of the procedure.

A chin implant is a nice complement to a rhinoplasty and should only improve the cosmetic appearance of your nose and face. It will not change your face too much!

Dr. Trussler

Dallas TX 

Rhinoplasty and chin implant

+1

The nose and chin must be in harmony to balance your face. What you have is very common. You do not need much reduction of your nose, only removal of the external curvature. With your very recessive chin, you will not get the desired nasal appearance you desire unless you markedly reduce the nose or, more aesthetically, augment the chin. In other words, adding a chin implant in someone like you is the standard of aesthetic revision and almost always provides a more natural and cosmetic appearance.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant along with rhinoplasty

+1

From your photos it does look like you are a candidate to have chin augmentation in addition to rhinoplasty. An under-projecting chin will make a chin look larger than it really is. Chin implant placement can be done at the same time as your rhinoplasty very easily.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/chin-augmentation

Chin implant can improve the profile

+1

Based on the picture I think you could benefit from a chin implant. But if this is not something that you have thought on your own. I would definitely think about it more before jumping into a chin implant. You can always do a chin implant later after your rhinoplasty. There are certain rules that plastic surgeon use to determine how far your chin should be on profile and you should have them talk to you about it.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant and Rhinoplasty

+1

You should thank your physician for being thorough during your rhinoplasty consultation. Like you, many patients are not aware that they lack ideal chin projection. I could make your nose look smaller by just placing a chin implant. I'm not suggesting this as an alternative to rhinoplasty, but a complimentary procedure.The implant will  improve your profile, the balance between your nose and chin, and  the definition of your neck and jawline.  If you decide not to do the chin implant at this time, it can always be done later.

Rhinoplasty With And Without A Chin Implant

+1

The best way to tell if a chin implant will improve the look of your face when doing a rhinoplasty is computer imaging. See what you would look by predictive imaging of a rhinoplasty with and without a chin implant. These pictures will answer your question, seeing is believing. If you decide for a chin implant, be careful about the style and size that is used. You have a retruded but long chin. You do not want to end up with a chin that is too big for your face.

Web reference: http://www.eppleychinaugmentation.com/

Chin implant

+1

You do have a retruded chin. If your occlussion is appropriate and jaw funtion is normal a small implant to augment the chin would enhance your appearance.

Web reference: http://www.plasticsurg.org/plastic-surgery-chicago.html

Chin Implants

+1

From your profile, it seems you are a good candidate for chin augmentation. The procedure takes half an hour and can be done under local or conscious sedation. First couple of weeks, there is some discomfort that can be controlled with medication. There will be some swelling which will be resolved with time.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgery4you.com

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon