I had a chin implant a year and 2 months ago. My lower lip has been in pain every day since with a swollen mass. What can I do?

My lower lip first didn't have feeling for > 2 months, then a slight feeling came but with pain. At 3 months a mass started forming and there was more pain. My upper lip had lack of sensation too. At 7 months implant was taken out. Side effects of taking it out was even more pain, a residue started forming around the my lower after a period of an hour everyday, the texture of the lip skin become sticky, then extremely dry, the pain like I was punched, with swelling, and the mass still there.

Pain after chin implant

+1

You may have nerve injury from the implant surgery and removal. See your surgeon for evaluation. Good luck. Donald R. Nunn MD Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Mental Neuropathy after Chin Implant Surgery

+1

Persistent pain after a chin implant raises the question of mental nerve compression. While the implant has been taken out, such chronic compression on the nerve (for 7 months) can result in either a neuroma or loss of some of its fibers both of which can cause pain. The potential for mental neuropathy needs to be evaluated to determine if surgical intervention may be beneficial.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD