Chin Implant with Wrap Around Wings or Sliding Genioplasty? (Photos)

Hi I am a 24 year old female as you can see from my photos have assymetrical jawlines.I have consulted oral surgeons who suggested orthogonathic surgery or shaving off the angle for more symmetrical look. As I have no functional problems with my bite iam opting towards implants but don't know whether I am a better candidate for sliding genioplasty or a chin implant with wrap around wings as my chin is slightly assymtric ? Also do you think i would be a good candidate for jaw angle implants?

Chin implant or sliding genioplasty

+1

A chin implant is a procedure that is quite simple and easy to perform and is frequently done under local anesthesia in a surgery center.  The implant is placed through a ½ submental incision and the implant is placed directly over the bone underneath the soft tissues of the bone.  It brings the chin forward in a cosmetic fashion and will not address any dental issues.  The orthognathic surgery will address an underbite or overbite.  We do use a chin implant that has lateral wings, but the wings are tucked in under the periosteum to give a nice natural contour.  Jaw angle implants are also performed in patient’s who are looking for more of a square jaw appearance.  These are placed through the mouth.  

Chin implant or sliding genioplasty

+1

Without a full face photo it's hard to assess which method would be best. Both techniques can give you improved projection to your chin. A sliding genioplasty can give you some added height if needed. It would also allow for improving your asymmetry.

A chin implant can be custom trimmed to improve this asymmetry too. Chin implantation is a bit easier surgery to undergo and recover from. A full facial analysis would allow for a better assessment of whether one approach would be better than the other for you (and whether angle implants would be recommended).

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD