Chin Implant- Too Wide? (photo)

Hi! Its been 5 weeks since i did my surgery. I had a liposuction + chin implant. I really feel that this surgery has changed my face from the front way too much, in a bad way. Before surgery i had a heart shaped face now its just looks very "boxy" and i think the chin implant is too wide. It looks good in profile but i look very masculine with this implant from front. This is a 8mm silicone implant with wings. Please give me your opinion. Thank you!

5 Weeks after Chin Implant

+1

I would wait for 3 months until swelling has reduced and then make a decision.  All of these implants can be custom tailored to the individual.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Reducing the size of a chin implant

+1

I would wait and allow the swelling to subside. If you do not like the frontal profile, one option is to reduce or remove the chin implant. 

I have reduced chin implants before with tremendous success.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Video imaging is a great way to figure out the benefits of the chin implant.

+1

The photograph demonstrates persistent swelling after chin implant. It is too early to make a decision about the aesthetics. There is both a physical as well as psychological path to recovery. Video imaging is a good way to anticipate how things will look several months after operation.

5 weeks post chin implant/liposuction

+1

It's still very early in your recovery that your final chin shape may not be stable until 3 months after the surgery. Did you know the shape of the chin implant that was placed? It's important to discuss your concern with your surgeon. Allow some more time for all the swelling to subside before making final judgement.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Too Much Width Increase With Chin Implant

+1

While five weeks after chin augmentation will not reveal the final result, you likely are correct based on your own assessment. Today's extended anatomic chin implants will make most chins from the frontal view wider due to the long lateral wings. This is particularly true as you get into larger sizes that are 8mms or bigger in the amount of horizontal increase. It is eventually a correctable problem by simply removing the winds of the implant leaving a central augmentation only. But I would wait until 3 months after surgery to be certain that between swelling resolution and you getting used to it that you really want to change it.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Square Jaw Can Be Improved

+1

Thank you for your quesiton and photos. The overall harmony of your chin implant with respect to your face cannot be judged based on the limited view you provided. Having said that, if you are unhappy with your result it is possible to replace the implant with a smaller or differently shaped implant to address your concerns. It is fairly straight forward to do under local anesthesia.  Good luck!

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant and Facial Change

+1

The implant does change your lower third facial shape.  There is some swelling still present and you should allow this to resolve.  When adding chin projection you will have to accept some widening of the chin. 

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Is my chin implant too wide?

+1

After 5 weeks, you will still have residual swelling from your procedure. It is too soon to tell what the final result will be, and I would recommend giving it some time. In the meantime, I would recommend discussing any post-operative concerns with your surgeon, as he/she knows the details of your procedure. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Swelling after Chin Implant

+1

I recommend waiting at least 6 months before deciding to have any additional surgery. It takes several months for swelling to subside.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Chin implant too wide?

+1

At five weeks after your chin augmentation and liposuction, there would still be a fair amount of swelling present.  This swelling can distort your true appearance.  I would definitely recommend waiting some more time, as it can take six to twelve months for everything to settle in.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon