Chin Implant Vs. Genioplasty - Augmenting the Labiomental Groove? (photo)

According to the orthodontist I have a retruded chin/jaw but my occlusion is good with just a slight overbite therefore I am not a candidate for jaw advancement. Included are side profile photos under different lighting conditions, I am biting in the top photo and my jaw is relaxed in the bottom. Is advancement of the labiomental groove in conjunction with the chins anterior point as depicted a realistic goal with a chin implant or genioplasty? If so which and would a custom implant be needed?

Sliding Genioplasty offers correction in multiple planes, but has higher risks

+1

Dear Mr Masticator

As stated already, you are a candidate for either procedure. 

• When choosing the size of the implant or amount of genioplasty, your surgeon and you will review your goals. 
  • Consider using less than you imaged in your picture on the right.  
  • As a general rule, the larger the implant, the more likely the labiomental sulcus will be deepened.

Best Wishes

Web reference: http://www.drtravistollefson.com/news/computer_imaging.htm

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant vs Genioplasty

+1

After reviewing your pictures, I feel you can get an excellent result with a sliding genioplasty or a chin implant. I recommend the chin implant because it is an easier procedure with less post op morbidity and less risk of complications.

Chin implant versus genioplasty

+1

Either a sliding genioplasty or chin implant would be options. Implants come in several sizes and shapes so a custom implant wouldn't necessarily need to be ordered. A stock implant can be carved to customize it to your particular anatomy. Anatomic-style implants (horseshoe-shaped) are useful if you want to augment the prejowl area.

Sliding genioplasty is also an option. This involves mobilizing your chin bone, advancing it forward (and upward or downward if desired) and plating it in its new position with a titanium plate. This would involve an intra-oral incision.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/chin-augmentation

Chin implant is carved to fit your anatomy precisely.

+1

Hi.

1)  A chin implant is simpler and safer, and (going by your pictures) should give you a good result.

2)  Implants come in a wide variety of sizes and shapes.  We use a sterile sizer to determine which one is best for you.  Then the implant is further refined or customized by carving it in the operating room to match your anatomy before finally inserting it.

3)  Be sure to use a silicone implant.  In our experience, Porex implants have a number of problems.

Chin implant vs genioplasty

+1

As a board certified plastic surgeon, with both a medical as well as a dental degree, my practice performs a substantial amount of chin surgery.  One should try to pick the smallest operation with the potential for the biggest improvement at the least risk.

That translates to a chin implant in the vast majority of cases.  Having said that, I do not think the labiomental groove will be advanced by either procedure.  Fillers are an option if that's a primary concern. 

Discuss your goals with the surgeon in consultation to get the best treatment plan.

Web reference: http://www.antell-md.com/newyorkplasticsurgeon/chin_implants_nyc.htm