Chin Implant Vs. Filler for Wide Front View? (photo)

My chin implant (small w/ wings trimmed) profile is nice, but the front view is too wide. Doc said he can replace it w/ one that gives projection & no width, but this sounds like a "button" implant, which I've heard bad things about. Other option: remove implant & get filler. Can a chin implant ONLY provide projection or do all provide width too? Please see profile "before" pic. Must I wait 9 months between removing the implant & getting filler? Will my chin look "stretched out" in interim?

Wide chin after chin augmentation

+1

I recommend you go back to your surgeon and tell him/her your concern. It is relatively easy to swap implant or trim the existing implant to achieve the desired effect.

Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Vs. Filler for Wide Front View?

+1

No, you can have the implant removed as soon as you're healed form the initial chin augmentation.  This typically occurs at 2-3 months.  The square look is a result of trimming  the wings (lateral projections) off the anatomical style chin implant...which should not be done in my opinion.  Once the implant is removed, you could use a filler (Radiesse works well) to create chin projection.  The only down side is that the filler must be repeated about once a year.

Chin implant versus filler for wide frontal view

+1
 Chin implants  come in a variety of sizes and shapes and lengths which are determined at time of the consultation which is the best fit for the patient. Chin implants can also be custom carved to address unwanted issues and tailor fit the implant to the chin for the patient. If there is too much width present, a simple shaving down the lateral wings can help minimize excess width from the frontal view.   It is best to wait 3-4 months before revising the chin implant

+1

You can shape the current implant.  You can remove the implant and replace with a button implant.  A chin implant is a permanent solution that produces predictable effects.  Radiesse can help augment bony prominences, but the degree of augmentation will not be as profound or as predictable and is temporary.  The implant can be altered at this time.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of chin implants and facial procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Female Chin Augmentation

+1

There is no reason you can not just reshape the implant you have or use a new central chin implant style. There is nothing wrong with a 'button' style chin implant that provides central projection but no width....for that is exactly the type of chin change you and many other women seek. Many standard chin implants create too much width for many women.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin implant v. Filler

+1

Hello Anna,

A properly chosen chin implant can give you the needed projection without widening our chin in the frontal view. Silicone implants come in many shapes and sizes as do Medpor implants. The latter can be further shaped with a drill if necessary. A filler will give you some projection, but you will end up spending a lot more money over time (I would counsel against any permanent or semipermanent fillers because their complications can be difficult to deal with satisfactorily). I hope this helps.

Andres Gantous, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wide Chin after Implant

+1

Based on your description I would remove the existing implant and replace it with an implant with fuller wings. A frontal view of your chin right now would make it easier to clarify your options. There is no reason to wait.