Is 14 Too Young for a Chin Implant?

My daughter is very self-conscious about her receding chin. She has a basically corrected open bite.

14 years old for chin implant?

+1

I would wait before getting a chin implant because of her age. I would consider the chin implant if your teeth (occlusion) are well aligned.

Correction of a short chin - Age limits

+1

There is still time for growth of the mandible and nasal bony and cartilaginous growth.  Although she is self conscious, I would advise her to wait. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Chin Implant Age

+1

Chin Implants can be done in patients as young as 15 or 16 but this is based on individual characteristics and maturation of face.  Most female faces mature around age 16 but there is variation amongst this.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Impants

+1

A girl probably should wait until at least she has reached physical maturity which will be about 16 or 17 before seriously contemplating a chin implant. In the meantime, an oral surgeon may help.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Chin implant at 14

+1

chin implant at 14 is a bit too early and better to wait till age 16 or 17 .  there are appliances used by orthodontists that can help increase mandible growth

Sam Naficy, MD

14 is too young

+1

Fourteen years old is too young to undergo a chin implant. She should probably wait until she is 18 years old. If she still has a severe open bite, consideration to seeing an oral surgeon who performs mandibular osteotomies can be entertained and, again, you still have to wait until she probably is 18 years of age to proceed with that.

Her jaw isn't done growing yet

+1

The mandible (lower jaw) doesn't stop growing until age 16-17 or so in girls.  You and your orthodontist should have a full cephalometric evaluation done of her to ses if she needs chin augmentation or even an advancement of the lower jaw once she is done growing.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

She needs a craniofacial evaluation

+1

Chin implants are only for weak or deficient chins but without other associated deformities. What you've said makes me strongly suspicious that your daughter has more bony issues going on. In these cases she may need much more to correct the problem. It's important to have a full and correct diagnosis prior to surgery. I recommend seeing several cranial facial surgeons. These are surgeons who have done plastic surgery, oral surgery and cranial surgery training. They have M.D. and D.D.S.

Yes 14 is too young for a chin implant. Female facial growth is complete around 16,

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon