Swelling from Chin Implant

I had a chin implant over a year ago and my right side chin area and lip are still swollen. What is the problem and what can bedone eliminate the problem.

Follow up with your surgeon

+1

No, this shouldn't still be from the original surgery.  You should have a postop check with your surgeon to be sure all is healing well.

One year after chin implant results are permanent

+1

If you have ‘swelling’ one year after chin implant it is not swelling but permanent asymmetry. The most likely causes are:

1. The implant has shifted in position
2. The implant pocket was made too small and the implant is buckled
3. Your chin was asymmetric to begin with and the implant has just exaggerated the asymmetry

Sam Naficy, MD

Swelling one year after chin implant is probably not swelling

+1

If you have a visible 'swelling' one year after a chin implant, this is unlikely to be swelling. I would suggest talking with your surgeon about the possibility of the implant having shifted. If this is the case, it can often be repositioned or worst case removed and a new implant placed several weeks later.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric chin from implant malposition or scar tissue

+1

It may be that the implant has shifted and that is the reason for the asymmetry. It may also be that you have developed scar tissue which was for whatever reason more pronounced on your right hand side of your chin. More likely is that the implant has shifted position. You should be re-evaluated or even have a plan X-Ray of your face to see if the implant is out of alignment.

David S. Rosenberg, MD