How Successful Are Chin Implant Surgeries?

What is the success rate of chin implant surgery? It seems many people get the implants, then have the implants slip. Perhaps the scariest drawback is the threat of permanent nerve damage. How often does that occur?

Chin implant

+2

If patients are properly selected, the satisfaction from chin implants is exceedingly high.  In experienced hands, the complication rate is very low.  Newer implants have a more anatomic shape and give a pleasing result.  Remember to choose a surgeon who is Board Certified by The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, or The American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

One of the most successful operations for facial skeletal augmentation

+2

Chin implant surgery is one of the most successful operations for facial skeletal augmentation in people who have a weak chin. The implants do not slip if they are placed in the proper anatomical position located underneath the periosteum of the bone. Permanent nerve damage is extremely rare; where there is numbness in a small area of the lower lip. This occurs less than 1% of the time.

Chin Implant Surgery

+1

In experienced hands, complications are very low. If placed properly implants shouldn't slip out of place. Proper size and location are key. Temporary lip numbness can occur but most clients regain full recovery.

"Dr.D"

Web reference: http://www.capefearaesthetics.com/details/plastic+surgery-19/

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Augmentation Has Dramatic Effect

+1

Chin augmentation surgery is one of the most underrated plastic surgery procedures. It can have a dramatic effect on a patient's overall facial balance and can substantially improve the angle between the neck and chin. When performed by and experienced plastic surgeon it is very safe and has a low complication rate.

Web reference: http://www.8west.ca/knowledge-base/cosmetic-surgery-options/face-neck/lower-face-neck/chin-implant/

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implants Are Good Surgeries

+1

Chin implants in general are well received. There is always the risk of implant movement and nerve injury but these are fairly uncommon. Fortunately, for implant movement, repair is straight forward. Nerve injury is generally temporary.

Web reference: http://innovationsfps.com/procedures/mentoplasty.html

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant typically a safe a successful procedure

+1

chin augmentation using chin implants is typically a short and safe operation.  The risks of infection, shifting, and nerve injury are quite low and patient satisfaction is high.

Web reference: http://www.seattleface.com/html/before_n_after_set.php?procedure=chin_augmentation&id=07

Chin implant surgeries are very successful

+1

I don't have numbers, just personal experinence.

Nerve injury, I believe, happens most frequently due to traction on the mental nerves resulting on a numb lip. Other nerve injuries are of course possible, but not as common.

Most likely, many people suffer some temporary change or loss of sensation. But then again, most get full recovery.

The slippage is another topic, and it is related to the type of implant. Smooth silicone implants may slip. I like the Medpor implant because it is textured, and doesn't tend to slip. It is tough to work with like velcro, so I put two screws in to fix it to the bone, and it doesn't slip.

I think it is common to hear more about the horror stories than the success stories.

One final thought, you may consider a genioplasty, in which your own chin is moved to create the look you want. You may also have to consider jaw surgery and/or braces.

Chin implant surgery is often successful

+1

Chin implant placement is one of the easiest and most gratifying surgeries that we do. Provided the implant is chosen properly, including shape, size, and material, it is usually easy to do, fast to heal, and makes a very pleasing difference to the patient. It is unusual for them to slip, again provided the pocket is properly created during surgery. The nerve damage is exceedingly rare. Overall, provided you choose a good surgeon, and the procedure is right for you, it is a successful procedure.

Chin Implant (when done correctly) is extremely successful

+1

Dear DelB,

To be honest, I'm somewhat surprised by the question because in our experience, chin implant patients are some of the most satisfied and happiest patients. Obviously, as with any surgery, you want to see someone with experience with the various implants that are possible and someone who understands the aesthetics you are trying to achieve.

As for implants slipping, we normally suture the implant to the underlying deep tissues to secure the implant in place, and with a bit of time, the implants we normally use have a capsule formed around them to keep them in place.

As to nerve injury, while it is possible to cause permanent sensory nerve damage, we have yet to ever see that occur. There are instances where patients have temporary numbness for a few weeks due to stretch on the nerve, but within weeks sensation always comes back to normal.

If we can be of any more help in answering your question please feel free to contact us.

Regards.

Chin implant surgery success

+1

Chin implant surgery is performed under local anesthesia with sedation.  It is a very low risk operation, particularly in the hands of an experienced surgeon.  This is an operation that has a very high patient satisfaction rate and there is no way to diet and excersice your chin to enhance it.   Only surgery will improve it.

See my interview with Jay Leno re: his chin.

Web reference: http://www.antell-md.com/newyorkplasticsurgeon/chin_implants_nyc.htm

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.