Chin Implant too small? (photo)

Hi there, I am 7 days post OP from a Chin implant (with Lipo) and am very concerned about the change in appearance. The doctor informed me after that he had decided to scale down from the agreed upon size 3 to a size 2. From the reviews I have read my expectations were that the implant looks almost "too large" to begin with and swelling resides overtime. Sadly I feel that my chin looks no different except the neck swelling and lower cheeks that make my appearance look more joweled than before.

Chin implant

+1
You have a significant chin deficiency. I believe you would have been better served with an advancement genioplasty. You can achieve much more advancement with the genioplasty than with an implant. Donald R. Nunn MD Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Chin Implant

+1

Usually if it looks too small immediately post op, it will likely end up being too small. The correction after chin augmentation typically ends being about 75%-80% of the implant size due to tissue contraction. The good news is that it's not difficult to revise if necessary. One thing that I am noticing is that in your post op photo, you may not be in the Frankfort horizontal plane (meaning the angle is not ideal for the photo). As a result, you may be under-representing the correction; nonetheless, you should discuss this concern with your surgeon. Best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.drjoshuazimm.com/surgical-chin-implant.html

Chin Augmentation Too Small

+1

Your chin implant assumptions after surgery are correct. If it looks too big, it may not eventually be so as a result of swelling. But if it looks too small one week after surgery then it is going to be too small. With your amount of initial horizontal chin deficiency, which is at a minimum of 10 to 12mms (probably closer to 15mms), you would have needed one of the largest chin implants available in terms of horizontal projection. Was any preoperative predictive imaging done to determine how much chin projection you ideally needed and wanted?

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com

Too small an implant?

+1

You may be right, at least with your appearance in repose. Time will tell. A revision can always be done.

Men can have stronger chins than women. However, you should evaluate the appearance of the chin and neck when you are smiling. They may look a lot stronger then, and too much augmentation may not look good on all expressions.

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon