Slight Asymmetry Still Present After Chin Implant

I had a chin implant put in about three years ago. The implant was placed through an incision under my chin. My chin is a little bit off to my right, therefore the surgeon placed a medium sized chin implant an eighth of an inch further to my left to try to compensate for this. I think that my chin still looks a little crooked and I was wondering if there is a way to place the implant in a different way to correct this and create better symmetry?

The enemy of good is better

+4

I would strongly agree with Dr. Rand.

Your face is asymmetric (so is everybodies). Your ears even appear to be differently postioned. This is normal.

My advice to you is to leave it alone. In your case, the enemy of good is better. In other words, unless you invest in a 10,000 dollar custom fabricated CT guided chin implant, you will always have some residual amount of asymmetry. If you try to get any better than you are currently, you could easily end up worse.

I think you have a great result from this photo and would discourage you from seeking correction.

Your entire lower face is asymmetrical

+2

If you look closely at your lower face, there is a visible asymmetry of the entire jaw structure. Put a straw in between your teeth and look in the mirror and you will see that the straw is not horizontal to the floor in your case. In order to really correct this you would need major jaw breaking surgery. Trying to disguise it with a chin implant is very hard and might not be any better than what you already have done.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Correction of chin assymetry

+1

An assymetrical chin can be improved with an osteotomy (cutting the chin bone) and rotating the piece.  You need to be examined to see if you are a candidate for this.  It's also possible that scar tissue twisted a correctly placed chin implant resulting in your current appearance.  Discuss your concern with your surgeon.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Residual asymmetry after chin implant

+1

the residual asymmetry after your chin implant is due to preexisting facial asymmetry. it is unlikely that more implant surgery will help but fillers such as Radiesse can mask some of the asymmetry

Sam Naficy, MD

Yes but....

+1

Your chin is still off to the right a bit.  In your photo, your nose is not midline and the left side of your face is longer than the right.  Nothing can done about the facial length, but you may also want to consider a rhinoplasty along with revision of chin inplant.

Scott E. Kasden, MD