Chin Implant or Sliding Genioplasty for a Recessed Chin that I want to Make More Masculine?(photo)

I"m trying to decide between the two. Many doctors here in memphis perform the implant but It's hard finding any who do the sliding genioplasty. It looks from the picture that my chin is slightly recessed but in order to make it more masculine my chin needs to go down more and out which I hear is better with a sliding genioplasty. What do you think?

Sliding genioplasty or chin implant

+1

A sliding genioplasty is done by oral maxillofacial surgeons under general anesthesia and is typically in a hospital inpatient setting.  A simple chin implant can be placed through a small submental incision to augment the chin in a cosmetic fashion.  This is done under a local anesthesia and is an outpatient procedure.

Chin Implant versus Sliding Genioplasty

+1

Determining what is best for a particular patient is accomplished with an in person consultation. Chin augmentation can be accomplished with either an implant or a sliding genioplasty. A sliding genioplasty makes a surgical cut in the lower portion of the lower jaw bone and 'slides' it forward. Hardware is then placed to hold it in position until the bone heals. Chin implants come in various materials, sizes, and shapes and can be tailored to a individuals desires. The recovery and risks are similar for both procedures. The advantage to the implant is that it is fully reversible if you do not like the result and can be performed with local anesthesia. If you are concerned, I would suggest speaking with a physician versed in both procedures.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implants and genioplasties have different indications: find a surgeon who does both

+1

Chin implants can increase the anterior projection of the chin but it is difficult to:

• increase the projection more than about 10 mm and/or

• increase (or decrease) the vertical height of the chin

A genioplasty is a better and more versatile way to do the above but it is a more involved procedure.

Your best bet is to find a board-certified plastic surgeon who routinely performs both procedures, so that you are fully informed of the pros and cons of each.

Barry Press, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant

+1

The choice is somewhat dependent on who will do the surgery. If you were to see me and I found you have no dentition problem, I would likely recommend a chin implant. It is a reversible procedure. Also I do not perform genioplasties. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation with implant or genioplasty

+1

Chin augmentation or chin strengthening can be performed with either an implant or by genioplasty (making a bony cut in the chin and advancing the chin forward).  Both approaches work well.  The chin implant is usually placed through a small incision in the skin under the chin (which leaves virtually no scar); whereas the genioplasty is performed through an intraoral incision (no scar).  In your case, either approach would work.  The recovery is about the same.   Some people are bothered by having an implant under the chin that is always there and elect to have the genioplasty simply because of this.  However, the genioplasty is typically secured with a titanium plate.  Unless there were other abnormalities in your chin (such as crookedness or one side being smaller than the other, which would potentially make the genioplasty better), I would go with whatever procedure is easier and cheaper.

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon