Chin Implant with Sliding Genioplasty

Can i have a chin implant and a sliding genioplasty at the same time? I want to add length to my chin but i also like how a chin implant widens the chin. can i have both width and length? I have heard a lot of bad things about the sliding genioplasty, such as bone loss? what are my chances of the bone wearing away after a sliding genioplasty? is this a safe procedure to have? thanks!!

Chin implant or sliding genioplasty

+1
A chin implant would probably be able to address width and length, however this depends on your current facial contour and expectations. As for sliding genioplasty, our patients have experienced high rates of satisfaction. Although very rare, the most common risks inherent to sliding genioplasty include relapse, bleeding, infection and fixation hardware issues. Injury to the mental nerve, which provides sensation to the lip is an exceedingly rare complication. These complications can be avoided when an experienced and skilled surgeon performs the operation. A craniofacial surgeon has subspecialty training in the performance of sliding genioplasty and the pre-operative planning that optimizes the aesthetic outcome of this procedure and minimizes risk.

Chin implant and sliding genioplasty

+1

Without seeing pictures it is difficult to say with certainty what you would benefit from. The majority of patients with microgenia can get the projection they desire from picking the right chin implant with guidance of their surgeon.

A sliding genioplasty involves an incision on the inside of the lower lip. A surgical saw is then used to make a cut in the jawbone which allows the bone to be mobilized and shifted forward. The bone is then anchored in place with a plate and screws. In my opinion this is a bit aggressive. The risks include malocclusion (your bite is altered), nerve damage that could result in permanent loss of sensation, damage to teeth, and a much longer healing time.

I would keep it simple, put an implant in and avoid the genioplasty.

Todd C. Miller, MD