Is Chin Implant Right for Me? (photo)

I am seeking my options for a stronger, more defined chin and maybe my jawline too.. I might also add that I have to put effort into keeping my mouth closed. What can be done about this?

Chin implant is a good option for more definition

+1

A small to medium sized silastic chin implant placed through a submental incision is the best option for a hypoplastic mandible and chin area.  This is placed through a ½ inch incision underneath the chin and can be performed under local anesthesia.

Candidate for Implant in Lady with Weak Chin

+1

Placement of an implant would be the easiest way to augment your chin.However, in a patient with a chin as weak as yours you should always have the occlusion of your teeth evaluated for possible orthodontia and consider a sliding genioplasty.

Short Jaw and Severe Chin Retrusion

+1

Your profile picture shows a severe chin retrusion and mentalis muscle strain, both signs of an underdevelopment of the lower jaw and a Class II malocclusion. Your best options are to either consider a combined orthodontic-orthognathic surgery treatment (lower jaw advancement) or a chin osteotomy. (moving only the chin bone forward which does not require orthodontics) Your chin deficiency is so significant that off-the-shelf chin implants would be inadequate for ideal correction. Youo require thorough treatment planning with x-rays and computer imaging to help you make the best treatment decision.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin Implant?

+1

Hi Hwill1,

By reviewing your photos you would be a good candidate for the chin implant or a jaw advancement surgery.  Either one of these surgeries would enhance your jawline and give you a more defined appearance. You may also need to see a Dentist  to make sure that your teeth are aligned properly.  That information will also help you to decide what procedure is best for you.

Thank you for the question,

Dr. David Alessi

David Alessi, MD

Chin implant

+1

A silastic pre-formed chin implant is the most simple and reversible procedure that could give you the cosmetic improvement that would benefit you. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Either chin implant or jaw advancement will help augment your chin

+1

Either chin implant or jaw advancement will help augment your chin. The important question is how well your teeth fit together. Often with a very weak chin, there is also a smaller lower jaw and the teeth do not properly fit together. If your teeth fit together well, a chin implant will help augment your chin and add more balance to your face. If your teeth do not fit together well you might benefit from jaw advancement surgery to help augment your chin and improve the way your teeth fit together. Seek a qualified Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon for evaluation. Depending upon their background they might recommend a consultation with an oral surgeon to determine if advancing your jaw would be helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Getting stronger chin and jawline

+1

From your photo you do appearance to be a candidate for chin augmentation.

This can include either a chin implant or a sliding genioplasty. The later involves advancing your own chin bone forward. Either approach tends to produce a stronger jawline in addition to improving the overall facial balance.

Check out the link below for more details about each procedure.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD