Chin implant or rhinoplasty? (photo)

I feel like my nose overwhelms my small face, especially when set against my week chin. My nose looks ok when I'm expressionless, however when I smile it has a drooping tip that gives it a "hooked nose" appearance in photos. I feel like it looks unfriendly, like i'm sneering or snarling. Based on my facial structure, would a chin implant offset this? Just rhinoplasty? a combination of both?

Chin implant or rhinoplasty?

+1
Yes, you would benefit from a small chin implant and rhinoplasty.  Your chin is a bit receded, so a bit of projection would benefit the balance to your face.  On side profile (not smiling), your cheek area is a bit flat.  Adding some filler would soften the cheek area. 

Rhinoplasty or Chin Implant

+1

Subtle changes in both your nose and chin will improve your facial proportions. It is common for the undesirable characteristics you describe to be accentuated with facial expression.

"Profileplasty"

+1

I commend you on your evaluation of your own situation!  You are correct in noticing how your nose changes when smiling:  the "depressor" muscles at the base of the nose pull it down, making it look too long and hanging (or "hooked, as you describe it).  These muscles can be weakened with Botox, but this would not take care of other nasal issues such as the modest prominence of the roof of the nose, and hanging of the portion of the nose just below the tip (the "columella"). 

Regarding your chin, yes it is a bit small and would likely benefit from chin augmentation.  However, note that the chin seems to project (like the nose) when smiling.  So be careful with not having too large of a chin implant placed or it will not look natural. 

In summary, what we call a "profileplasty" with both a rhinoplasty and chin implant would be great for you.

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and/ or Chin Implant

+1

I think that you are a perfect candidate for a combined chin augmentation and rhinoplasty.  

The Chin augmentation will help to balance your nose.  And a rhinoplasty will help with the hanging tip you have highlighted.

I would suggest you visit with a Plastic Surgeon who offers 3 Dimensional imaging so you can see what contribution each procedure makes to your overall appearance.  I think you would really like the combined results.

Gilbert Lee, MD

Rhinoplasty or chin implant?

+1

based on your photos, you would definitely benefit (more) from a rhinoplasty, and possibly from both. I had a little trouble viewing your photos so I cannot say for sure whether you need the chin implant too. I generally recommend that my patients undergo a photographic analysis and "morphing" to show the expected changes with and without a chin implant. Remember that one of the most common problems after a cosmetic rhinoplasty is trouble breathing so make sure to let your plastic surgeon know if you have any breathing issues at your consultation (and sometimes you can even get insurance to cover some of the costs).

Good luck. 

Gil Kryger, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant or rhinoplasty?

+1

Rhinoplasty and chin implants are often performed together, as one procedure complements the other. The combination can yield a fantastic result for the right candidate. I would recommend an in-person consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He or she will be able to evaluate your nose in person and provide you with advice. Computer imaging software may be used to morph a photo of you, which can give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty and chin implant combination

+1

The rhinoplasty procedure will de-project the nose, while a chin implant would increase projection of the chin for better facial balance. Releasing the depressor septi ligament at the time of the rhinoplasty  will prevent the nasal tip from drooping downward upon smiling. Shaving the dorsal hump and osteotomies will also help with the “ hooked nose” issue

Rhinoplasty and chin implant for better facial aesthetics.

+1

Rhinoplasty and chin implant for better facial aesthetics is what you need. Make sure you choose a very experienced surgeon for the best possible results. Make sure the surgeon does naturall noses and meet with some of his patients.

Chin implant or rhinoplasty?

+1

Nasal cosmetic surgery and a chin implant are frequently performed together in the appropriate patient. Each procedure may improve your appearance. Together they produce a better result than either one alone. The ideal aesthetic result should be individualized to achieve harmony with your other facial features and improve the areas that concern you.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on limited two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best surgery. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. The extent and length of the procedure, cost, and the specific operative steps to achieve an ideal cosmetic result vary from patient to patient and would depend on the findings at your consultation examination.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and/or Chin Implant Augmentation

+1

Hi little,

Rhinoplasty would give you a smaller nose that is supported when you smile.  It would bring your nose into harmony with the rest of your face.  I would decide on whether a chin implant would be of benefit at the time of an in person consultation.  A small chin augmentation will likely be of benefit.  Make sure that you choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD