Would a Chin Implant And/or Rhinoplasty Improve my Profile?

Hi, I'm a 20 year old male. I've identified the areas that I believe could benefit from surgery. -Tip of nose too large. -Nostrils appear too large. -Nose not straight. -Chin doesn't reach bottom lip. Note: the left ear pokes out due to a recent partial parotidectomy (this is being dealt with). Am I a good candidate for these surgeries? Thanks.

Chin Implant--Yes; Rhinoplasty--Maybe not!

+4

I am inclined to agree with my colleagues who feel your nose is really pretty good, especially from a profile point of view. From the front, you do have a slightly wider tip and some refinement could be performed here, but frankly, I would recommend leaving the rest alone. Even though the risks of scar tissue irregularity or other problem is really quite low, the degree of potential improvement (in the upper 2/3) is not worth even this tiny risk, IMHO. Tip rhinoplasty for the subtle changes requested--I'd have to assess your acceptance of the pros vs. cons, but this is reasonable.

For the chin, your profile would definitely benefit from chin augmentation or genioplasty. First, make sure you are absolutely good with your bite and teeth occlusion and that you don't need orthodontia or jaw surgery. If this is all fine, then I would recommend a small or medium Flowers mandibular glove vertical tilt extended anatomic solid silastic chin implant placed via a submental incision (I avoid the intraoral "hidden" incision because although it is "hidden" it has a higher risk of implant infection for which removal is needed to cure the infection.) Too high of an avoidable risk, again IMHO. Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplast

+2

Based on the pictures, Disagree with you. Would not do anything...........................................................

Rhinoplasty and chin implant to improve profile

+1

Patients who have a receding chin are best treated with a chin implant placed through a submental incision.  The implants come in small, medium, large, and extra large and are composed of silastic plastic.  They are inserted underneath the skin and the muscle and periosteum and directly over the bone of the mandible on the chin area.  This will bring the chin in balance with the nasal features.  A rhinoplasty can be performed to narrow a bulbous nasal tip, removal any hump, and when needed narrow the nasal bones.  This will bring the nose in alignment with the chin.  

Great candidate for Rhinoplasty and Chin Implant procedures to achieve better balance and harmony

+1

Our Boney Facial structure helps to define our appearance. A weak chin makes your nose appear more prominent.  Often times, I suggest a chin implant to improve results from nasal plastic surgery.

I agree with my colleagues that the adjustments need only be minor and very conservative in your case, however, I do think the result would be noticeable and give you better facial balance and harmony.

I would suggest a small chin/jowl implant and widening the bridge of your nose along with a tip refinement to achieve this balance.

Be sure to have simulated video imaging performed prior to having the procedure to make sure that you and your sugreon are on the same page.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant with rhinoplasty (nose surgery)

+1

A small chin implant would improve your profile.  Otherwise, rhinoplasty would enhance your appearance on frontal view refining the nasal tip moderately.  

It is important to provide and maintain harmony of the face on profile between the chin, cheeks, and nose.  This can be established with a chin implant and rhinoplasty.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant and/or Rhinoplasty to Improve Profile

+1

You may benefit from a small chin implant to balance your profile. Your tip may appear large due to the presence of a narrow bridge. Widening the bridge slightly with cartilage may benefit the appearance of your nose. Overall, any work performed would be very subtle, as there is not much to correct. Thank you, and I hope this helps.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Chin Implant and Rhinoplasty

+1

A chin implant would be beneficial. Minimal rhinplasty with narrowing the tip and improving definition as well as correcting the subtle asymmetry will refine your nose.

A chin implant and a rhinoplasty would be reasonable.

+1

Your nose is a little large in the tip, and the chin, a little receded. But they're not so bad that you want to be careful not to get them overdone.

Have your surgeon demonstrate for you in advance by computer simulation several different changes to your nose and chin so that you can decide what's best for you.

G. Gregory Gallico, III, MD, FACS
Associate Professor, Plastic Surgery
Massachusetts General Hospital
Harvard Medical School
170 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116
Tel: 617-267-5553
Fax: 617-267-5507

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Chin augmentation or rhinoplasty to improve profile

+1

I think that chin augmentation would be a high yield procedure in your case to help with the overall balance of your profile. This could be done with either a chin implant or sliding genioplasty technique.

Regarding your nose, some refinement of your tip may be possible depending on your anatomy/skin thickness assessment. In many cases I find that improving the convexity of the tip cartilages (lower lateral cartialges) helps with the roundedness of the tip.

I think you may find that treating the chin alone will do quite a bit for the perceived size of your nose. Computer morphing in the office helps greatly with determining this.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD