Asymmetric Rhinoplasty and Chin Implant Results

I had Chin Implant along with Rhinoplasty 5 months ago, but I'm not satisfied with both procedures. My chin looks asymmetrical and it seems as if it's jutting to the left side. I had a revision for chin implant and my plastic surgeon tried shortening the jutting end but still juts out. He says it's because I have an asymmetrical face, and some filler will probably alleviate the problem. As regards to my Rhinoplasty, I'm still waiting for the swelling to go down, but it seems like I need a revision because it's so asymmetrical. Any advice on how to get it fixed?

See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

+1

From your description it sounds like you will need a revision of both. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to evaluate the problems and give expert counsel on how to fix them.

Facial and nasal asymmetry

+1

Asymmetric chin implants occur from two reasons. First, patients may have an underlying skeletal asymmetry of their original jaw that is now exaggerated by placing an implant over it. Secondly, implants are held in place by a capsule that form around the implant over a few weeks following surgery. What keeps implants in place is the pocket created to put it into. If the pocket has even a small amount of excess room, the implant may shift or scar tissue can displace if over the first few weeks post-imperatively.

Correction can be using fillers or removing and replacing the implant. If you have an asymmetric jawbone, custom implants or bone remodeling via orthgnathic techniques my be necessary to achieve symmetry.

As for your nose. Before deciding on a revision it is important to allow all healing to take place and for all scar tissue to soften. This take about a year. Asymmetries occur for a number of reasons, some controllable and some can be unforeseen. If you seek revision, make sure your surgeon has a lot of experience with revision surgery.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Rhinoplasty and Chin Implant Asymmetries

+1

It sounds like that you had problems with your first chin implant. If there is an underlying chin/ jaw line asymmetry, than complete correction of this is always difficult. Some carving and adjustment of the implant will help but rarely leads to a perfect result. As your surgeon told you, injectable fillers can certainly improve asymmetries.

In regards to the rhinoplasty, it sounds like that you are moving towards revision rhinoplasty for tip asymmetries. At consultation, I encourage patients to wait for one full year with their 2nd surgery to allow for complete healing first. See an experience rhinoplasty surgeon as revision surgery is a challenging procedure.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon