Chin Implant Revision - Scar Placement?

I just did my chin implant on 9 Oct 2010, I find it too big as the doc used a "large" size for my face. I wish to go for a revision on 31st Dec to make it smaller My incision is below my chin, will the doctor cut it at the same place again? Will it affect the scar and make it deeper? Thanks!

New scar will remove old scar completely.

+2

Fear not, your old scar will be completely removed and the new one will heal and look just like this one. You don't look bad now, so you should at least consider that all of your swelling has not gone away, and your chin will look slightly less enlarged as time goes by. Not quite three months is the absolute minimum time I would consider appropriate for revision, and even then, I would recommend only going down one size so that your chin tissues don't slump down, giving you an unsatisfactory chin/jawline.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant revision with implant exchange

+2

Downsizing your chin implant will be a fairly easy procedure for you. The pocket for the implant has already been made. It is a simple procedure that could even be done under local anesthesia. Reusing your 'old' submental scar will not make it look any worse in the long run.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin Implant, Chin Augmentation, Chin Implant Removal, Radiesse, Artefil, Artecol

+1

I have used Chin Implants for Chin Augmentation for almost 25 years and the incision under the chin is the best one IMHO.  The plastic and cosmetic surgeon will most likely go right through the old incision which should heal as well as it di the last time you had Chin Augmentation

You may want to read my new book, on the aesthetics of facial beauty, including the chin and face on profile: "What's Your Number..the palmer code", so you have some idea of what the Chin Augmentation should accomplish.  The chin should be proportioned and flow smoothly to each side without an obvious anterior (front) protrusion or elongation.

Chin implant revision

+1
The incision for a revision chin implant should be the same placement as the previous incision. This is a simple procedure and since the pocket for the original chin implant is already made you should have minimal recovery time. Revising the procedure should not alter the end result of the scar. Chin implant incisions in the sub mental area typically heal extremely well and leave a barely visible scar.

Michael Elam, MD

Chin Implant Revision

+1

The scar location should be the same, and the final scar appearance should be nearly identical. If the implant is silicone a local procedure may be possible, but if the implant was hydroxyapatite you may need a general anesthesia as it is a more difficult procedure.  

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant removal and replacement.

+1

It should be a simple procedure with local anesthesia. The pocket for chin implant is already made which is the major portion of the procedure, and now the large implant should be removed and replaced with a small size implant. The old incision should be used to minimaize scar formation. Good luck

Kevin Sadati, DO

Secondary chin implant revision

+1

You should be able to undergo a revision augmentation genioplasty with a relatively small and similar scar to your existing incision. However, this may depend on the type of implant placed.