Chin Implant Revision Surgery or Fat Injections?

3 weeks ago had chin implant surgery, but I'm not happy with the results. I have a round face and it seems to me that the implant used is too small for my type of face. The round contours are not proportional, and it does not give my face a balanced appearance.

My surgeon told me that it needs some injection of fat. What do you think about that? Should I change out my implant instead? What can I do?

Revisions at 6 months

+7

It is too soon 3 weeks after surgery to assess results and definitely too soon to perform revision surgery.

Chin implant surgery is characterized by swelling around the chin implant, causing a distorted facial appearance. It would be a mistake to reoperate for what is essentially water in the tissues that will go away.

Another consideration is psychological. Patients adapt well to rejuvenation surgery; most of us think we look younger than we actually look (me included!). Rejuvenating the face just reinforces what the patient has known all along. However when the appearance is changed (chin implants, cheek augmentation, breast augmentation), there is a period of adjustment during which patients feel they are not looking at themselves, and interpret this as dissatisfaction with the surgery. These things tend to mellow with time, another reason to wait 6 months for almost all revision surgery.

Brent Moelleken MD FACS
Offices in Beverly Hills and Santa Barbara
Clinical faculty, UCLA

Too soon to tell...

+4

Only 3 weeks after surgery, you are still swollen and your tissues are recovering. You won't know what the result really looks like for about 3-4 months. Wait until then and at that point it will be clear if you need a different chin implant. Maybe you won't!

Changing the implant is probably better than doing fat injections around the existing one. It is hard from the photo to tell exactly what you look like now. Straight on and profile views are more helpful than obliques.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Don't Move Too Soon

+2

It is difficult to make a final judgement regarding the results of Chin Augmentation only three weeks post-operative. There is most likely still some residual swelling in the surgical area.

If after 6 months you and your surgeon feel that the implant has not done enough to improve your profile and appearance, your options include replacing the implant with a larger implant, or augmenting the deficient facial contours with autologous fat transfers or other filler material. To augment around the chin implant, you could use Radiesse, Juvederm Ultra, or Artefill, all of which can be placed deep and molded into the proper position near the existing implant.

I recommend not making any judgement about your results or plans for the next surgery until enough time has passed for you to appreciate the results with "before and after" photographs of yourself.

Athleo Louis Cambre, MD

It's too early to judge

+1
At 3 weeks post-surgery, your face is still experiencing swelling. I would wait at least a few months to interpret your final results. If you are still unhappy, I would recommend a revisional surgery to change out the implant. Fat injections are unreliable, and are unlikely to give you a satisfactory result. 

David Rapaport, MD

chin implant revision

+1
 It's a good idea not to make a decision upon revision at only 3 weeks after the surgery. At 3 months after the surgery, consideration to remove and replace the implant can be entertained. In our practice this can be done under local anesthesia whereby the old implant removed and a new implant inserted  that is the proper size. On occasion we have to custom carved these implants to match facial features.

Chin implant for chin augmentation

+1

The area of the lower lip, especially the jowls and corners of the mouth may benefit from enhancement.  If you are interested in a larger implant, this is still a possibility.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Chin implant recovery longer than 3 weeks

+1

To see the full results of your chin implant you need to wait longer than 3 weeks – closer to 3 months. At that time if not happy you can consider a revision.

Sam Naficy, MD

Chin implant and fat transfer

+1

It depends on analyzing the preop and post op pictures

Good analysis is key. Understanding your goals is important to make the decision.

The implant used is important to consider. Was the proper size and shape used?

Chin Implant and Fat Injections

+1

Hi m,

It is difficult to advise you based on the photo. Please send or post a photo of profile and straight head on views. As far as what you can do, you are correct in that you can revise the implant for a larger one; I prefer Mittleman chin-'pre jowl implants. They can be sized before your surgery. Fat transfer can also be used, but it should be performed by a surgeon with experience and excellent aesthetic judgment. Let us know how it goes, and send more pictures if possible. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD