Chin Implant Placed Too Low During Revision Surgery

My original chin implant was placed too high and it was too big for my face (wings were unnecessary). The doctor agreed to fix it. Instead of putting a new smaller implant as we discussed, during the operation, the doctor decided to re-use the old implant w/o wings (can he do that?!). He now placed it too low, contrary to our discussion. The lower part of my face looks long and flat, with projection down, not forward. What are my options? Any chance the implant will get pulled up during healing? Thanks!

Revision Chin Implant surgery.

+2

I'm sorry you're not happy with your revised chin implant.

I don't think it's unreasonable to reposition or reshape an existing implant. I don't think that replacement is the only option.

Your chin will not likely get "pulled up" during the healing process, as gravity has a tendency to bring most things down. However, you might be a candidate for injectable filler treatments to the chin to improve your appearance.

You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon, and if necessary, get a second opinion from a board-certified facial plastic surgeon experienced in Chin Implant surgery.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

A little hard to answer

+2

Its a little hard to answer some of your questions without looking at you but here are a couple facts.

Doctors frequently trim the size of implants to give us the exact projection or shape we want. Reusing your old with modifications is widely accepted.

I would talk with your surgeon about your concerns and be willing to wait to see the ultimate result. Its not infrequent for patients to react with some concern when they don't recognize the "man in the mirror" (seemed like a M. Jackson comment would be appropriate today). Hang in there and understand you're early in the healing process.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Okay to reuse the implant only if he can shape it.

+1

If the implant was too large and too high in the first place it's not totally unreasonable to reuse it but only if the surgeon can remodel it to the exact size and shape that you need. It doesn't sound like he could. I might have been more appropriate to use a new implant that is to the specifications that you need. Wouldn't you have rather paid for a new implant that fit appropriately than gotten another unacceptable surgery?

You'll probably never get the surgery you need from this surgeon so perhaps you should see another surgeon.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant revision surgery

+1

The use of the previous implant is a reasonable option.

If you desire a different shaped implant, the style, shape, size and costs should be discussed prior to surgery. If this was the case, and a decision was made to deviate from this approach, you should understand the reasons for this.

Wounds can contract but that does not necessarily mean it will change in position.