Is a Chin Implant Revision Very Difficult?

I had a chin implant done in Argentina 7 months ago. I am wanting a revision. I went to a doctor here in NY and he stated it is a difficult procedure and he wants an x-ray to see more in detail what was done and if he can do anything to rectify it. I am so scared now because every other doctor said it would be fairly easy. Basically remove the one I currently have and replace it with one that would look better on me. I am so nervous now. Should I be?

Chin Implant Revision

+1

Sharpie

Get a copy of your operative report from Argentina. The X-ray is probably a good Idea.  Without information on the implant type, good photographs and examination, it is difficult to give you more specific advice.  It  has been my experience that chin implant removal and replacement is usually straightforward.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Revision of chin implant

+1

Removing and replacing chin implants is relatively straightforward. Scar tissue first chin augmentation makes revision slightly harder to do. The old implants can certainly be removed and a larger, smaller, or wider implant can be placed depending on the patient’s needs, wants, and desires.

Chin implant removal

+1

You are dealing with the unknown. What type implant was used?

Was it fixed, and how?

Was there a problem during isertion? some changes can be permanent.

It is very important to have all the information possible before the surgery,

Get the operative note, and type of implant from the original doctor if you can and the information exist, and right

Taking over for another surgeon is not so easy

+1

The problem is that the FDA strictly regulates the materials or implants that are used here. The product used in Argentina may not be available here and this may make removal more difficult because the surgeon would have to deal with the unknown. Would you take a bite out of something without knowing what it contains? Why should a surgeon. The more prepared he/she is, the more likely you will have a predicatable resutl. What if the implant was an injectable material that cannot be entirely removed? Will you blame the Argentiain surgeon or the US surgeon who decided to help you? Try to understand that you are asking another surgeon to pick up the pieces of a problem he/she did not create.

Chin implant revision is usually routine

+1

In general, revision of a chin implant is much like the first operation. The same incision can be used or the incision can usually be revised if it did not heal satisfactorily. The implant can be removed and reshaped or replaced with a different sized or shaped implant. We prefer to suture our implants in place so that the chance of shifting at all is minimized.

The operation can be a little bit harder or easier depending on the implant material that was used. A silicone implant is easy to remove and replace. A material like Medpor preferred by some surgeons is a little harder to remove because the surrounding tissue grows into it. Even then, it should be a relatively routine straightforward procedure. All the best.

Jason Litner, MD