Chin Implant Removal from Under Chin if Placed Through Mouth?

I've had a revision surgery and this time it was done via the inside of my mouth which is the worse experience. If I ever had to remove the implant would I be able to do it via the outside (bottom of chin)? My chin and and lower lip are still tingly and numb after 6 weeks an when I eat my tongue feels weird i guess a bit tingly as well. I loose the taste of the food. Its cold out and when I go my chin tightens up. Is all this normal?

Chin Implant removal

+1
I personally use a sub mental dissection (under the chin) on all of my chin implant procedures due to the fact that the positioning desired is difficult to achieve through the intra-oral position. I am unfamiliar with the other symptoms you are having and they may be due to the placement of the implant sitting on or near an exposed nerve. Best regards!

Chin implant sensory problems

+1

Always check your complaints or symptoms with your surgeon, as he is aware of the details of your surgery.  Sensory issues of the lower lip can occur with chin implantation, but most go away with time.  The chin implant can be removed from the submental crease, but this would create unecessary dissection and scarring. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Parasthesias After Chin Implant Can Be Normal

+1

The tingling you describe sounds like a parasthesia. The tingling of the tongue is a bit more complicated and I am not sure that this is related to the surgery. I would speak with your surgeon about your concerns. In some cases, repositioning of the implant is necessary if it is sitting on or near the mental nerves.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unusual complaints after chin augmentation with chin implant

+1

Yes, it is possible to remove it from inside the mouth. I don't however understand the tongue issues. This should not be related to the chin implant surgery. Occasional spasms with cold weather is not uncommon in a relatively fresh wound.

Chin Implant Issues

+1

I recommend you speak to your surgeon regarding your concerns. Personally I find positioning an anatomic (as opposed to a button) implant difficult through an intra-oral incision so I always make an incision under the chin.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon