Chin Implant Removal - What to Expect

I had neck lipo w/ large silicon chin implant 2 weeks ago. I have numbness, but no swelling. I hate the implant aesthetics and feel and really just want it taken out. I liked my chin before, just wanted the neck fat removed. I am 25; will the skin go back to the way it was before it was if the implant is removed? Also, is anything done to the chin bone to place a silicon implant? How do I know the same chin shape is still there? If there is numbness or witch's chin, what can be done to fix it?

Chin implant removal

+1
You are very early in the preoperative recovery phase and what you may actually be seeing is swelling from the procedure. I personally would advise you to have patience for at least thirty days and see if you change your opinion. Removing the implant is a safe and simple procedure and your chin should return to it's original appearance. The numbness should slowly dissipate as well. It is very helpful during the consulting phase if the surgeon has an imaging computer when analyzing chin augmentation as the surgeon can show you the proposed results of the neck liposuction and combination chin implant and the proper sizing to be used. You can then discuss this with the surgeon and agree upon the proper aesthetic result you are looking for. Best regards!

Two weeks it to soon to judge cosmetic results

+1

Be reassured that chin implants can be safely and easily removed when you are 25, but the best thing to do is relax.  At two weeks you are physically swollen and the actual before and after results are hard to judge.  You are also psychologically challenged - you just changed your appearance and you need to let yourself "get used to it".  If your profile bothered you before surgery and you made an informed decision to have an implant, give yourself and your body time to adjust.  I don't even take photos for 6 weeks (at the earliest) and would not recommend removal for at least 6 months.  You really need time to make this decision and medically you are not burning any bridges by waiting to see the final results.  Good luck and communicate often with your surgeon.

David Magilke, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant removal 2 weeks after chin implant surgery

+1

Since it is only two weeks after your chin implant surgery.  I would caution you not to rush into anything.  Although you may not think you are swollen, you probably still have some swelling at your chin shape will  probably change and remodel over the next 4 to 6 weeks.  The numbness you are experiencing will most likely improve over that time as well.  If you don't like the longer term results it is a relatively easy procedure to remove the implant and your chin should return to it's original shape.  I doubt your surgeon altered your chin bone (mandible) but I'm certain he/she would tell you if you asked. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Keep your chin up

+1

These are excellent questions for your surgeon.  At your age your skin should be fine.  Sometimes the chin implants are sutured into place but that will not be a problem .  The numbness should resolve in time.  Good Luck 

Grant Stevens, MD

Chin Implant Removal

+1

At two weeks you still have normal post-op swelling. I suggest you leave the chin implant in place for several months so you can see the actual change in chin contour and projection before it is removed. The chin bone is not modified during implant placement.

Removing chin implant

+1

At your age the chin skin will likely redrape back once the implant is removed. It is a bit hard to assess whether you're over projected being only 2 weeks from surgery though. The chin bone itself should be fine if an implant was placed.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Chin implant Removal

+1

It's hard to give you direct answers without seeing you.  However, you may have some residual dimpling or puckering of the skin after removal of the chin implant because the skin has been stretched out for so long.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

You may want to wait another month before having your chin implant removed.

+1

I read your concern, and I'm not sure why you're dissatisfied by the aesthetics of your chin 2 weeks after Chin Implant Surgery. If you feel your chin is too strong, you may consider sitting tight until most of your swelling resolves.  You're still somewhat swollen only 2 weeks after your surgery.

At your young age, your chin should return to its pre-operative appearance if you choose to have your implant removed.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Removal - What to Expect

+1

You still have a lot of swelling at this time. By 6-9 months swelling subsides and the chin will look different and more pleasing. Numbness as well as pain will also go away with time. Silicone usually placed over the bone and no changes are made to the chin. Recommend giving it at least 3 months before deciding on implant removal.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon