Can a Chin Implant Be Performed in the Office Under Local?

Chin Augmentation with Local Anesthesia

+1

Chin Aug Anesthesia
Chin augmentation is an outpatient procedure typically done in the plastic surgeon’s office or in a surgery center. In my practice it is usually done under local anesthesia with oral sedation or intravenous sedation, but can be done under general anesthesia if requested.

Chin implant can be done in office or surgery center

+1

Yes, a chin implant (chin augmentation) can be performed in the office or surgery center setting under sterile conditions with local anesthesia. It can also be removed under local anesthesia. The entire chin area has to be anesthetized with a local anesthetic in order to place a chin implant.

Chin Implant In Office Under Local Anesthetic

+1

Chin implant come in a variety of materials such as silicone or a permanent matrix such as Porex. Regardless of the material many surgeons like to anchor these implants with a screw into the bone. While it is easy to numb the lower lip and soft tissues of the jaw its more difficult to numb the bone. Not impossible but the surgeon must know how to block the alveolar nerves.

An outpatient surgery center or a hospital operating room would be more comfortable and safer in my opinion.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant placement in the office

+1

Sterility is more of an issue here than anesthesia. The implant is in an area that must be kept very sterile during its insertion. An operating room is the most sterile place to perform this. As far as anesthesia goes, it may be painful to do just under local. Therefore, I would recommend at least twilight sedation with local anesthesia. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Possibly

+1

I would guess that a dental block could be done.  Personally I wouldn't want to do it that way, but if done in a "real" OR no reason not to.  I would recommend some form of sedation however.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Can a chin implant be performed in the office under local?

+1

I think all doctors will answer in a similar manner - Yes, it is possible.  What you save is perhaps some cost. However, the value of some intravenous sedation may out weigh any cost savings.  Perhaps your doctor meant local anesthesia with IV sedation vs a General anesthetic??

Michael Kulick, MD

Chin implant augmentation under local anesthesia

+1

Yes, chin augmentation with a silicone implant may be performed under local anesthesia. However, most surgeons perform the procedure under either IV sedation (twilight) or general anesthesia. There may be excess tissue swelling from the local anesthesia solution, which makes precise judgments on implant sizing more difficult when done under local anesthesia. Removing an implant is more commonly performed under local rather than placing an implant. Regardless of anesthesia method, the implant must be placed via strict sterile conditions. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible for chin implant to be performed in office with sedation

+1

A chin implant could be done under some local and sedation. Proper sterile techniques must be followed as per all surgical procedures.It is a simple procedure but requires dissection close to the bone which could be a sensitive dissection.

Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS