Will my Chin Implant Make my Neck Look Defined?

How can a little artificial chin give my neck a definition? Will the skin be pulled straight during the surgery? I asked a doc if I needed neck liposuction he said no. He told me that he would use size 2 chin implant (anatomic) it wraps around the chin.... What do you think docs? Your opinion is appreciated.

Chin implant could improve neck definition

+1

The chin implant makes the neck look more defined because it gives the illusion of having a longer jawline. Placing the implant on the front part of the chin extends the mandible outwards and gives more visual distance between the Adam’s apple and the front part of the chin. Occasionally liposuction and/or a necklift is done at the same time as the chin implant to remove any fat in the neck. When fat is removed from the neck, it often times require removal from both above and below the platysma muscle.

Don't Bet On A Chin Implant To Improve The Neck

+1

Chin implants are great to compensate for a receding chin. But they do not  " move the skin" or make any change in the anatomy of the neck.

The reality is that many patients with a receding chin are well-served by sharpening the jaw-neck angle by either liposuction or neck sculpture which removes even more fat and tightens a slack neck muscle that may be contributing to the absence of a sharper angle between jaw and neck.

Would suggest you seek some more opinions if the neck concerns you. Betting on the chin implants only may not be a smart bet.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Beverly Hills, CA

Robert Kotler, MD

Use imaging to help you decide

+1

Without a photo that is certainly a difficult determination to make. You could consider computer imaging to asses the results with or without liposuction and then make an informed decision.

Chin Implant Make my Neck Look Defined

+1

Very hard to answer without posted photos of how you look. Be my guess is your doctor is correct. But I always offer some Smart Lipo of the chin to help tighten the skin. Best of luck. 

Chin implant effects on the neck.

+1

While there is no direct effect of a chin implant on the neck, the strech of the skin, and the elongation of the chin may help the submental area appear more balanced and flatter.

If you have little fat in the submental area, and liposuction is not an option for you, I would suggest a chin implant first to see if the indirect effects of the implant on your neck are sufficient to address your neck area.  If not, then I would consider treatments focused on that area for correction to your satisfaction.

Good Luck,

Dr. Torkian - Lasky Clinic, Beverly Hills

Behrooz Torkian, MD

Chin Implant for Neck Definition

+1

I think it would be more accurate to state that your jawline, not your neck, might look more defined with placement of a chin implant. There is really no pulling of the skin during chin implant placement, so I am confused about your question regarding this specific maneuver. The skin overlying your chin does get projected, or pushed out, further with placement of a chin implant but I am not sure if this is what you were referring to in your question. If your surgeon did not recommend liposuction and was planning on placing a size 2 anatomical chin implant, then you likely do not have a significant imbalance of this area. It sounds like you might benefit from at least one more consultation to answer this lingering questions. Good luck.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implants and how your neck appears

+1

Chin implants should not really have a direct effect upon how your neck looks.  However, it may indirectly make your neck look more defined.  The actual implant provides some projection, but in order to pull your neck skin tighter you would most likely need a necklift or neck liposuction.  If you're concerned that you may need some neck liposuction, it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion.  It's difficult to tell you more without actually seeing a photo and/or examining you in person.  Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Chin Augmentation to improve appearance of neck.

+1

Chin augmentation helps a “weak” receding chin. By bringing a chin forward and making it better defined and more in balance with the nose the profile is greatly improved.  A chin augmentation can also enhance the patient’s neckline by making it appear longer.  In all cases, it surely brings harmony to the face.

I use an implant made from a hard product called Silastic.  It has been proven to have no ill effects on the body and looks very natural. After healing, it becomes so much a part of the patient that they often forget that they have a chin implant.

I specifically fit each chin implant to the patient.  As implants come in various shapes and sizes, I often sculpt the pre-made implant to the contours of the patients' face before inserting it through a small incision under the chin. The incision is well hidden and it heals almost invisibly.  For even greater improvement, if there is extra fat under the chin, the fat can be removed at the same time with liposuction performed through the same incision.  There is no tightening of the neck when a chin augmentation and/or liposuction at the same time unless the patient has loose, excess skin.  If that is the case then a neck lift is the proper procedure to improve the overall appearance of the neck and this may or may not be in conjunction with a chin augmentation. 

You need to feel comfortable with the surgeon who will perform your surgery and trust their opinion.  You should have the opportunity to look at examples of patients who have had the same procedures that you are considering and are similar in age and ethnicity to you.  If you are still in doubt about the recommendations of your surgeon, my advice is to seek a second or third opinion.

Arnold Zweig, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon