Will Chin Implant Help Enable Me to Naturally Close my Lips?

I have a receding chin and also my lips do not naturally close. Will the chin implant allow me to close my lips naturally? Would chin augmentation be right for me?

also are there any non surgical options?

Chin implant unlikely to enable lips to close naturally

+1

A chin implant will not help the lips close naturally. Lips inability to naturally close is due to a tethering of the philtrum (area from between upper lip and base of nose). The chin augmentation will simply push the chin forward to further balance the face.

Chin Implant will not close lips

+1

Chin implant will not close your lips. There are a number of factors that could contribute to the failure of your closing your lips:

• dental occlusion
  • lip position
  • muscle function in the region of your lips and chin
  • soft tissue and lip configuration, etc.

In looking at your photograph (that is not completely accurate because your lips were not together and the view is not a true profile), you have a relatively large, full chin with a relatively long vertical dimension. The chin appears to be slightly receding but this may be due to a slightly ptotic (drooping) lower lip. A small chin implant may improve the receding chin contour and may, to a small degree, support your drooping lip.

Nevertheless, a chin implant will not improve the other factors and will not bring your lips together. There are no non-surgical options. You might benefit from consulting with a maxillofacial surgeon. 

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Competence Issues

+1

The only procedure which will help with both chin augmentation and improved lower lip competence is a sliding genioplasty. This procedure is typically done by oral surgeons. However some facial plastic and general plastic surgeons also have experience with this technique. Also, if you have an overbite, then orthodontic correction may help to achieve better lip closure.

An implant alone may make the lip closure problem worse and will certainly not make it better.

From the limited picture you submitted, it actually looks like your upper lip is more of a problem than the lower one. Botox can be used to drop the upper lip down a bit. This is typically done for patients with a very 'gummy' smile. However, it may also help with lip closure in your case.

Best of luck.

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant

+1

A chin implant will not help you to close your lips. This is a separate issue, and it would be best for you to have an evaluation by a skilled maxillofacial surgeon. A chin augmentation will help improve your profile, but have no effect on the alignment of your jaw. There are no non-surgical options to correct this issue. Hope this helps answer your question. Thank you and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Chin implant not helpful in this case

+1

Placing a chin implant will NOT allow your lips to meet "more naturally."

If this is bothering you have a complete evaluation of yor mandible and maxilla by a maxillo-facial surgeon. With special x-ray and measurements, you may have the answer to your problem.

Chin implant will not help lip closure

+1

A chin implant will not help the lower lip elevate to meet the upper lip, in fact it may make the opening wider. The main reason your lips do not meet is the extra length you have in your upper jaw. You will need a special analysis of the teeth and jaw angles to help determine the best correction for this. I would recommend an oral and maxillofacial surgeon that does this type of jaw surgery. This is a very involved surgery.

A less invasive surgical option that might help the appearance is lip augmentation. If you enhance the size of your lips they would have a closer appearance with less mouth opening. Lip augmentation can be done with soft tissue fillers and fat.

Best Wishes.

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation effects on the lip

+1

Based upon just the one photograph that you have provided, a chin implant would be a good procedure for you. You have a deficiency of the chin which needs to be brought forward some to bring it in alignment with your lower lip. However, this will not aid in closure of your lips. You also appear to need some augmentation of your upper lip and that should aid in closure of your lips.

Finally,if you have ever considered a rhinoplasty, your upper lip can be dropped at the same time as bringing your nose closer to your face and that would not only aid in lip closure but bring better balance to your face overall. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Difficulty with lip closing and small chin

+1

It is difficult to assess your jaw shape and projection from the photo. You appear to have a decent jawline. Your lip closing may be related to your dentition and occlusion. I would seek the advice of an oral surgeon. They may refer you to an orthodontist. Special x-rays called cephalometrograms may also be beneficial in determining if your chin is smaller than "average".