I Had a Chin Implant 6 Months Ago, I Still Cannot Fully Feel my Lower Lip, What Should I Do?

I had a chin implant 6 months ago, I still cannot fully feel my lower lip. Feeling did return to the skin on my chin, the outside of the lip about 80%, and I can feel the tissue I can lick. Though the meat from the middle of my chin to top of the lower lip is still numb, there is lack of control and feeling. At 3 months I was instructed to be patient because I had some feeling. I was just told if I wait longer I might permanently damage my nerve. How do I assess healing and what should I do?

Numb Chin After Chin Implant

+1

Sorry to hear about your recovery. It sounds like your numbness is slowly resolving.  The numbness typically resolves toward the central area of the lip and chin.  Continue your patience.  Close follow up with surgeon is warranted if there is no significant improvement over the next 2-3 months then intervention is warranted.

Dr. ES

Numbness after Implant

+1

It sounds like your chin implant could be causing nerve damage or there was nerve damage done during the insertion of the implant. I would discuss with your surgeon possibly removing the implant to see if you have any return of sensation. You may want to seek a second opinion if you continue with no answers. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Numbness to lip

+1

Most likely, the lip anesthesia is related to nerve damage during surgery or the implant is resting again the nerve. Have your surgeon check you out ASAP!!!!

Was it inserted through your mouth or from outside under your chin?

It might be worth removing the implant

David Ellis MD FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon
Art of Facial Surgery

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant

+1

Loss of sensation to the lower lip after chin implant could be either injured nerve or pressure of the implant on the nerve. Time to investigate and decision would be made based on the findings.