Is Chin Implant with Liposuction Dangerous?

I am researching the procedure as well as doctors in both Dallas and NYC for a chin implant, and maybe a little liposuction under the chin. Anyway, reading the posts here, I am getting more nervous about this! How common are complications like an injured nerve, asymmetrical look, and numbness after a few weeks? Because it seems like a lot of people are writing in about these concerns with the procedures I want done and it makes me really nervous! Is it better to not do the lipo? Are these concerns common? Thanks.

Chin implant and liposuction

+2

While no procedure is completely risk-free, liposuction of the neck and chin implant should be a relatively safe, effective procedure. Each carries the risks that you mention, and combining them should not have an 'additive' risk effect.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and liposuction complications.

+2

Dr Mayer is absolutely right that these two procedures, chin implant, are commonly performed together. The complication rates are very low with experienced surgeons.

The complication rate is very low. More important than worrying about getting a rare complication, you may want to concentrate on what your aesthetic goals are, and how to communicate that with your prospective surgeon.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Chin implant and liposuction

+2

Assuming you are an appropriate patient, it has not prooved to be a "dangerous" proceedure in my experience over 30 years. A small number of patients will experience some decrease in sensation or "different sensations" in the area for 2-3 mos. afterwards.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant with lipo

+1

These are two safe procedures and can be performed in combination. I find that patients have better satisfaction with chin lipo because it enhances but does not change their appearance. Chin implant will alter your face for the better but, like rhinoplasty, you have to be prepared psychologically for the change.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Risks of chin implant with liposuction

+1

Placement of the chin implant is quite simple and straightforward. It is usually placed through an incision underneath the chin. It is placed below the periosteum of the mandible to augment the lower chin area. 99% of the time it will not shift or migrate. Additionally, a better alternative to traditional blind liposuction in the neck is to perform a neck lift. This involves going through the very same incision as the chin implant and manually sculpting, removing, and rescultping an entire jawline. Fat is removed underneath the platysma muscle as well. The neck muscles are then tightened in the front to give a sharper more angulated jawline. There will be some numbness temporarily around the chin area and neck after any of these procedures and it usually resolves within six to eight weeks. Facial nerve paralysis is extremely rare and if it should occur on the lower lip, it always has been temporary in our experience. Normal movement returns in about eight weeks.

Chin implant and liposuction not dangerous if experienced

+1

Chin implant surgery as well as careful conservative liposuction of the neck under the chin are procedures that are deemed relatively safe when performed by competent and experienced surgeons. Complications can occur from any surgery but they are not common for these procedures.

If performed in good hands and with due care by a good surgeon, the chances of you having problems are minimal. There may be a small amount of bruising, small amount of swelling, some local numbness. These are normal occurrences and not complications and they are transient. Nerve injury is extremely rare in a well performed procedure.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck liposuction and chin augmentation

+1

No, the combined procedures can be safely performed at the same time in one setting regardless of the incision type for the chin implant. I would prefer to do the liposuction first and then the chin augmentation through an external neck incision under the chin.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Liposuction and chin implant

+1

Liposuction of the neck, if you are a candidate for liposuction and not excision of subplatysmal fat, both are very safe procedures. Chin implant is also a very safe procedure.

The combination of chin implant and liposuctio is very safe.

Any surgical procedure carry a certain amount of risk. However, choosing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with experience in these procedures will minimize the risks.

Chin implants need to be of appropriate size shape that fits your measurements, the surgical technique should be executed with percision and you should have minimal risk of nerve injury or malposition.

It is technique dependent.

Risks of Chin Implant with Liposuction

+1

The 2 procedures are separate, each with their own risks.

Chin liposuction alone should not produce numbness. Typically, the procedure is complication free and quite predictable. Potential complications include infection, skin irregularities, and collection of blood or fluid under the skin. Post operative antibiotics and appropriate use of compression garments will usually avoid this. Appropriate technique avoids lumpiness. Numbness should not be a concern.

Chin implants can be placed from the outside or through the mouth. The outside approach requires extending the incision used for liposuction. I personally do not perform this approach unless extensive neck work is being done requiring the larger incision. A typical incision for liposuction alone is 2 mm versus 2 cm for a chin implant or neck lift.

Numbness may occur if the dissection for the implant is taken too far to the side. This can be more prominent if an implant with extensions along the side are used. This produces a very square jawline, which may be good in a man, but not so great in a woman. I typically use the more central implant, which avoids the need for the extra dissection and minimizes risk to the nerves. In either case, an experienced surgeon should be able to avoid the nerve, as it exits the jaw bone in a very predictable location (between the first and second premolar teeth, 1 cm above the bottom of the jawbone).

All implants have a potential for shifting during healing. However, a smaller and more central implant is less likely to rotate, creating noticeable asymmetries. If your jawbone is asymmetric to begin with, the implant can also accentuate this anatomy unless it is modified to accommodate for it.

With all that being said, both procedures are very safe with exceedingly low complication profiles.

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant with liposuction very safe together.

+1

Hi.

1) Most of the problems you hear about are due to technical errors. I would say that the combination of liposuction of the neck with a chin implant is one of the safest, simplest, and most gratifying procedures that we do.

2) Combining the two does not increase risk in any way. We have done it on people from 18 to 55. Both operations take about one hour under local anesthesia with some sedation, and the recovery is only a few days.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)