Can a Chin Implant Lengthen a Short Chin?

Today, I went in to see a plastic surgeon about a chin implant to improve my short/recessive chin.

I told him that I wanted to increase the vertical height as well as the projection of my chin. He promptly told me an implant would not work. Instead, the bone needs to be cut and moved.

In the before and after photos of chin implants online, the chin appears longer in many cases. Is this just an optical trick? Or is it possible for chin implants to increase chin height slightly or moderately?

Chin Implant: Mainly for projection

+3

Rilian: I would generally agree with you plastic surgeon's advice. He or she has the advantage of making specific recommendations based upon examining you and discussing things with you in depth.

Chin implants sit on the front of the chin portion of the mandible, giving the chin more projection. They are not designed to add vertical height to the chin area. You may have seen photographs which give a visual impression of increased height, but it could not be relied upon for the change you mention seeking.

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

+1

A chin implant is designed to give more projection not vertical height.  The illusion of vertical height is abundant in patients with chin implants. The implant sits on the end of the mandible and gives projection.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Lengthen a short chin

+1

Cutting the chin bone give the greatest flexibility to lengthen the chin.  However, an implant can be placed slightly lower to get some legthening.......... but only up to a point.  Discuss your concerns with a well trained surgeon.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Chin implant and vertical height

+1

Chin implants are mainly used to improve the forward projection of the chin. A slight amount of increased vertical height can be attained depending on implant style and placement. Generally, if you want to produce a more significant level of vertical height increase (in addition to forward advancement) a sliding genioplasty would be a better option. 

A sliding genioplasty involves an incision on the inside of the mouth just above the chin. The chin bone is then cut and advanced forward and angled downward to increase vertical height. A small titanium plate is then used to secure the bone in place. 

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Chin implant for vertical height

+1

some degree of vertical lengthening can be achieved with chin implants depending on the style if implant used and the pocket created.

Sam Naficy, MD

Chin implants do not affect vertical chin height

+1

What you heard is right. Chin implants can affect a nice change in forward projection of our chin, but do virtually nothing to agument the vertical height of your chin. For this, the bone of your chin would need to be altered surgically (called a "genioplasty"). This gives your surgeon the ability to increase your chin's projection as well as vertical height.

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon